• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shalmaneser

Exhaust Systems

shalmaneser

There seems to be so much conflicting advice!

So I thought this could be a chance to sort it all out!

As far as I can understand there are two 'standard' exhaust systems for the 205 - presumably these changed at the phase 1.5 to phase 2 switch over? Either way they fit both 1.6 and 1.9 cars. The later one is 2 1/4" diameter and is obviously less restrictive than the earlier 2" systems - so the later 'standard' system is the one to go for.

Did pug change the exhaust mountings - is it possible to fit a 'better' later exhaust to an early car? Mine's 89/90, so right at the switch over - and we all know what pug are like, are there any visual differences between the two standard exhausts - other than the size obviously.

What about aftermarket systems? How do I go about attaching a stainless system to my car - i hear lots of mention of cutting and welding - to most systems not mate to the standard pug cast manifold? Would i need to cut the end off my existing downpipe and weld it to something else? sounds like a pain to me...

I'm looking at a Magnex system - anyone had much experience with these? are their many different types of Magnex 205 system?

and then aftermarket manifolds rear their ugly heads - but i won't go into that here!

Anyway, thanks in advance guys!

Baz

2 std systems yes, earlier 3 piece (downpipe seperate, sleeve fit) and the later 2 piece. (downpipe incorporated into centre section, olive fit back-box) The mounts are the same across the std exhausts, and of course any decent aftermarket ones should be the same. They also should have a split in the downpipe too, included with the manifold design, this acts like a 2 into 1 system.

the 2 designs can of course be mated to any car, as long as used as a complete matched system, ie a later olive fit back box with a later one piece centre section, they both mount the same to the std cast iron manifold.

Magnex's and some other mfr's are a different bore size, so unless used with their respective manifolds, would need to be joined somehow to the std manifold/downpipe etc. Indeed a pain...

Magnex's IMO aren't that great no, they crack, as any stainless has a habit of doing being more brittle, specifically the manifolds and where the pipes enter the boxes, also the baffles work loose and rattle.

Edited by Baz

EdCherry

Phase 1-1.5 to Phase 2 Differ in Exhausts IIRC (might be Phase 1 to 1-5.2 they changed). Yes its the same exhaust between 1.6 and 1.9.

You can use the later exhaust system (it will fit on the same mounts), infact its better then the earlier one. Only visual difference is its 2 parts instead of the earlier 3. Downpipe and centre pipe + box are one, with an olive fitment backbox.

I picked one of these up last week for £103.

Personally id just stick with a nice standard jobbie unless you need to release a few horses! I polished my tip before it goes on the car to keep maintence on it easier and it give it a nicer look!

GLPoomobile

1 - Early OE exhaust is 3 piece - downpipe, center section, and tailpipe - and is sleeve fit. Can't remember the bore but don't think it's 2" as that's too big.

2 - Later OE exhaust is 2 piece - downpipe/center section in one, and a tailpipe - and is olive fit. As above, I think you have th bore wrong, but I know it was a bit larger than the early exhaust.

3 - You can fit a late system to an early car if you fit the complete system. Mates to the OE manifold exactly the same and mountings are the same, so no issues there.

4 - The OE downpipe has a split, which most aftermarket replacements do not. It's debatable whether it makes a difference (and it has been debated A LOT!), but I'd prefer to keep it since it's how Pug designed it. The only aftermarket type I know of that keeps it is Arvin, and the only place I found that supplies this is www.buypartsby.co.uk.

5 - The majority of aftermarket 'systems' will fit straight on, if designed for a standard GTi. In other words, if it's advertised as a full system, for a certain age, from the downpipe back, then it's connect to the donwpipe and away you go. If you have a later 2 piece exhaust you'd need to check that the system was from the manifold back. Likewise, with replacement back boxes, you need to check if it has a sleev or olive fitment. But generally speaking they are designed to go straight on. DES is an exception as their system is designed to cover a range of fitments, including Mi16 transplants etc, so they have a front pipe that has to be modified to fit. Hence why I think they offer free fitting.

6 - The Magnex systems (Magnex now out of business) come in 3 types - back boxes designed to bolt straight on, a full system from downpipe back designed to fit straight on, and a full system with 4 branch manifold designed to fit straight on. The important thing to remember here (and I'm pretty sure I'm correct on this) is that the full system with 4 branch manifold is different to the full system from downpipe back, and so you can't buy the former minus the manifold, and fit it on to a standard downpipe. The system I had on my first 1.6 was alright, never had any issues with it, but it seems to be common for the baffles to go in the silencers, I've heard.

mattbenselin

I had a 2-piece Bosal standard system which blew a hole in the downpipe, ordered an Arvin from buypartsby but recieved another Bosal! Rang them up they were very helpful and sorted me out the same day with an Arvin/Timax.

However neither the Bosal or the Arvin/Timax had the desired split in the downpipe. I rang back and they said that this is how they came and it's the only types they had.

So I had to like (rather than lump it) as my car sounded like an ill duck! The A/T was very good quality though compared with Bosal and in general.

Moral, don't always believe what your told by a company, and do do your homework and a good search if you want a chuffin' split in the downpipe!

Rupertfinch

You see, what should have been a very simple thread has snow-balled in my mind.

There appear to be 2 camps in Peugeot regarding standard systems.

Camp 1 Arvin are pish, Bosal are great!

Camp 2 Bosal are pish, Arvin are great!

So pick your corner and be prepared to fight it out! I'm going to replace a Bosal with a Bosal (if I can find any on this God forsaken Isle). I await the mockery.

Mark.

welshpug

Peugeot original P2 system FTW! :ph34r:

shalmaneser

thanks for the replies guys, that's about as clear as mud...Might just buy the system I've been offered and see what happens....

TBH the only reason i want a new one is the gay looking diesel style tailpipe annoys me! I guess the best combo of looks and power is going to be a later system with a good quality back box. really love the look of the DES style tip, i hate all this inwardly rolled crap - a nice 2"/2 1/2" system is clearly the way forwards, but they cost a fortune!

chocolate_o_brian
There seems to be so much conflicting advice!

So I thought this could be a chance to sort it all out!

As far as I can understand there are two 'standard' exhaust systems for the 205 - presumably these changed at the phase 1.5 to phase 2 switch over? Either way they fit both 1.6 and 1.9 cars. The later one is 2 1/4" diameter and is obviously less restrictive than the earlier 2" systems - so the later 'standard' system is the one to go for.

Did pug change the exhaust mountings - is it possible to fit a 'better' later exhaust to an early car? Mine's 89/90, so right at the switch over - and we all know what pug are like, are there any visual differences between the two standard exhausts - other than the size obviously.

What about aftermarket systems? How do I go about attaching a stainless system to my car - i hear lots of mention of cutting and welding - to most systems not mate to the standard pug cast manifold? Would i need to cut the end off my existing downpipe and weld it to something else? sounds like a pain to me...

I'm looking at a Magnex system - anyone had much experience with these? are their many different types of Magnex 205 system?

and then aftermarket manifolds rear their ugly heads - but i won't go into that here!

Anyway, thanks in advance guys!

Just to add my tuppence.

I personally have a standard earlier downpipe on my car (a phase 1.5 '88 1.9GTi). This is mated to a Magnex centre and backbox system I got off here for £40 - bargain!

I assume the downpipe is that of standard fitment etc, and the Magnex centre fits on it perfectly via a sleeve fitment. Same with the backbox/centre sleeve fitment.

Can't quite remember the diameter of the downpipe at the bottom, but when swapping over from my original bodge of welds system, it required nothing more than 2 exhaust clamps and a little exhaust paste - no welding, no cutting or anything.

Hope that helps a little.

boombang
I had a 2-piece Bosal standard system which blew a hole in the downpipe, ordered an Arvin from buypartsby but recieved another Bosal! Rang them up they were very helpful and sorted me out the same day with an Arvin/Timax.

However neither the Bosal or the Arvin/Timax had the desired split in the downpipe. I rang back and they said that this is how they came and it's the only types they had.

So I had to like (rather than lump it) as my car sounded like an ill duck! The A/T was very good quality though compared with Bosal and in general.

Moral, don't always believe what your told by a company, and do do your homework and a good search if you want a chuffin' split in the downpipe!

~I have an Arvin system from buypartsbuy sat here in my garage (new, unused and for sale!) that definately has the split.

Is 3 piece but yet is larger bore like phase 2 type.

Confused?

shalmaneser

Hmm, I'm gonna put the whole thing off till the summer I think, until someone's breaking a car with a decent system on it near me and I can cruise over and inspect it at my leisure! B)

Thing is I think mine has had a new exhaust (not a performance one) recently anyway, I'm gonna whip it off and have a good look and see what I can find out :blush: !

Anyway, thanks for the help boys!

Sign in to follow this