• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dino20vt

Pic Request, Standard Body Gti With 4x Front Dimma Split Rims

Chris Hughes
Its the patterns that would be dear I think, my mate carl makes his own 10 and 13" rims, but tooling for a 15" is about £1000...........

So what I was considering was sourcing some rims from the likes of Image wheels.

Are'nt Image Wheels the people who made the wheels for Dimma in the first place. I'm sure thats where Nick (GTI6BOY) got his wheels from for his new Dimma from.

GTI6BOY

compomotive made the originals

Chris Hughes
compomotive made the originals

Ahh ok oops!

Henry Yorke
Its the patterns that would be dear I think, my mate carl makes his own 10 and 13" rims, but tooling for a 15" is about £1000...........

So what I was considering was sourcing some rims from the likes of Image wheels.

They are approx £100 a rim, so you are looking at £800 on rims alone. I spoke to compomotive a while back when looking to replace some on the Dimma 309. My brother picked up a set of Race wheels from a Morgan for not a lot of money which had the right rims on to replace the buckled ones ;)

Tom Fenton

We will see, I was just planning on replacing the outer rim, need to sacrifice a wheel first to see if its possible!

Baz

What's an SMR for a worthy sacrifice!

sonofsam

Cool, does he run a PNC lathe? We may be able to turn down an existing chuck wich would reduce the cost, I'll ask the tool maker anyway!

Tom Fenton

Pass on the PNC bit, he owns his own patterns, and has the rims spun for him by a local firm.

sonofsam

Hopefully the Boss will retire soon anyway, so we can do some homework on this subject! :P

We've been talking about this all day really Tom ;) A few ideas have been floating around

about parting off the rim and machining a register to accept the rear of another 1.9 alloy to create

8" rims with 0ET.

Tom Fenton

I guess that certainly could be done, I was just thinking of the two piece conversion as a way to have something different. Carl does them on various 10" mini wheels and they look good (IMO)

For example

minispecial-2-opiece-wheel-conversion.jpg