• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Peetypug

Gti6 Air Filter

Peetypug

after speaking with the good Dr Sarty briefly about the air filter position when doing the GTI6 conversion, i've started to think about how i'm going to do mine

he told me that Magic or PeterT (i cant remember which) said that its a bad position right next to the radiator

any sugestions on better positioning for it?

Spiky

well i have had mine in two positions,

right off the TB and now it's on a 90 degreee and sits just infront of the gearbox

heat issues? waht heat issues ;)

though mine is track car and is normally flat out, not stuck in traffic, but when it is stuck in traffic, it's normally on the way there or home from a track, so i'm not flat out, so if i was getting heat soak, i would not notice :wacko:

taylorspug

Mines straight off the throttle body, but ive dropped the rad to get some cold air through. Should have really ducted it in but i cant be arsed frankly!

CaptainK

I've got a 90 degree bend coming off my GTi6 TB down to the air filter which is just in front of the gearbox. Better for cooler air down there, BUT you get tons of road muck chucked up onto it. :)

Cameron

Mine's attached to the throttle body, but its not the best position as the inlet air temp gets pretty high in summer.

TurboSam
I've got a 90 degree bend coming off my GTi6 TB down to the air filter which is just in front of the gearbox. Better for cooler air down there, BUT you get tons of road muck chucked up onto it. :P

Risky !

Stripped a totally mullered GTi6 lump last week which had been hydraulic'd due to having an open air filter in a similar place.

I've got mine right behind the headlamp :)

fangio

You could always make one as I did from a sheet of aluminium and half a million rivets!

I used a panel filter for a 406 and it seems to work well - quieter than a cone filter - at least til you hit 4k.

Obviously the battery went in the boot.

I used the original snorkel in the grill and it doesn't appear to strangle it at all.

post-2678-1236022281_thumb.jpg

Edited by fangio

Cameron

Heath Robinson would be so proud! :)

platty

I've used a 45 degree elbow and lowered the rad.

Radfitted1.jpg

Battery is also going in the boot.

Edited by platty

Veero

Crikey Platty, you been using the Daz on that engine bay?! It's blinding! :)

On my Mi16/GTi6 bastard creation the air filter is behind the headlight so I had to make a custom smaller washer bottle. Bear in mind I have the AFM between TB and filter since I am running it on Mi management.

Veero

Ben_M

Radfitted1.jpg

CLEAN !!!!

CaptainK
Risky !

Stripped a totally mullered GTi6 lump last week which had been hydraulic'd due to having an open air filter in a similar place.

I've got mine right behind the headlamp :D

I know. :(

Unfortunately my battery is in the way and I can't fit it in the headlamp area. :(

I am gonna be changing it for my BMC CDA setup sometime, but unless I can find someone better ti fit it, it'll still point downwards in that area. :(

Alastairh

Stunning platty!

Bakes100

My Filter position is pretty similar to platty's apart from ive used a 90 bend instead of a 45. Battery moved to boot and made a little bracket for the ecu to sit on, ill get a pic up later.

Probably get a bit more heatsoak than with the filter down by the gearbox, but I would rather have that than a scrapped engine!

platty

Cheers

Truth is I'm a tart and dont like getting greasy :D

Heatsoak will be a problem when moving slowly, but Im sure as soon as you get some speed up, all the hot air will be exiting at the rear of the engine bay.

I was going to make a plastic shield up to help reduce the problem, but with a low boost charger planned next winter It's not concerning me enough to spend time on it.

tom_m

Radfitted1.jpg

lovely, but are you sure about using that sieve instead of a propper oiled cotton jobbie? i was under the impression that those metal jobbies were next to useless when it comes to filtration *dons flame proof jacket just in case*

Edited by tom_m

Ryan
lovely, but are you sure about using that sieve instead of a propper oiled cotton jobbie? i was under the impression that those metal jobbies were next to useless when it comes to filtration *dons flame proof jacket just in case*

I've got a magazine somewhere that did a test of various air filters. Those metal ones scored bottom in the filtration test by quite a long way iirc. With some of them the mesh is so coarse you see straight through them!

platty

Yep agree totally. I am on the lookout for a clean Ramair filter. The Stainless one pictured has been in my garage since I sold the Puma, so I bunged it on for effect. Looks attractive, but has bugger all filtering properties.

dimmapalmer

oil it?

whizzer71
You could always make one as I did from a sheet of aluminium and half a million rivets!

I used a panel filter for a 406 and it seems to work well - quieter than a cone filter - at least til you hit 4k.

Obviously the battery went in the boot.

I used the original snorkel in the grill and it doesn't appear to strangle it at all.

post-2678-1236022281_thumb.jpg

I thought Pauls Efforts were worthy of an award actually,Blue Peter eat your heart out !

:blush:

andyjstone

Air filter? Who needs one :blush: :

Engne.jpg

Andy

oli-pug

^^ sweet :P

You still need a filter though :lol:

andyjstone
^^ sweet :)

You still need a filter though :blush:

Why? I only use mine on the track so don't intend to fit a filter, gets in the way of the air gettin in!

GLPoomobile
Why? I only use mine on the track so don't intend to fit a filter, gets in the way of the air gettin in!

Yeah, damn right. I mean what the hell are all these air filter manufacturers trying do anyway? Damn them for strangling our engines :) It's not as if you can't just rebuild the engine if something goes wrong :blush:

Cloverleaf

I've read that not having an air filter gives you a slight benefit for less than half a dozen laps on track on a new engine, think it was in David Vizard's book on tuning the A Series. After that you've done more damage than good...obviously it will vary depending what the conditions are.

Sign in to follow this