• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bjw970s

Mi16 To 1.9 8v Swap

bjw970s

As I am having trouble sourcing liners for the Mi16 in our rally car, I am looking at converting back to 8v for reliability and ease of maint as the idea when buying the 205 was to get a reliable usable rally car for a bit of single and multi venue rallies.

I haven't examine the conversion in detail, what should I be looking for? ie are the engine looms the same? is there any major mechanical conversions to revert back?

Thanks

Brian

James_R

QEP normally hold liners for Mi's or can get them easily enough.

But regarding the 8v question, the looms are different, and the downpipe maybe different (depending how the engine's been fitted)

Generally the coolant pipes are the same (the 8v doesn't have the over the exhaust mani pipe the Mi does)

to refit an 8v unit it's just a unblot Mi rebuild 8v and drop in on the std 8v mounts, swap loom and hook the coolant circuit back up. Try and get the fuel hoses with the 8v engine but failing that it's pretty simple to buy more and cut it to fit.

Then fit a std system, or an early 3piece system downpipe and the system of your choice.

dcc

surely it would be less hastle for you to take the liners from the 8v. your talking a lot more work in terms of re-wiring, welding and just general bodging. The 8v liners fit the mi block. just make sure the wear on the bottom of the block isnt very severe are you will have a nightmare trying to get them to seal.

bjw970s
surely it would be less hastle for you to take the liners from the 8v. your talking a lot more work in terms of re-wiring, welding and just general bodging. The 8v liners fit the mi block. just make sure the wear on the bottom of the block isnt very severe are you will have a nightmare trying to get them to seal.

I am a Peugeot newby so I am only starting 2 read up on them.

I am concerned that if one of the liners was cracked then there s more issues with the engine and an underlying cause. Fortunately the deal for the car was on the road, so I haven't paid yet.

I can get the car without the engine for less money and I am therefore inclined to do so as I am unsure about its reliability if it has cracked a liner.

I assume from the posts above I need to get a 1.9 engine loom and ecu and possibly a standard exhaust downpipe?

i know people go to a 16v but as I said before I would rather have the simpler 8v.

dcc

It is 100% dependant on how the loom has been modified. If its using the Dizzy adapter, then you wont need to change anything on the loom. If the engine used an angling plate for the exhaust, then you wont have to change the downpipe at all. if the bulkhead has been modified, then i dont think any modification would have been done to the downpipe. your fans are likely to have had the cowling modded for the inlet, unless it has been used with a shortened inlet. neither of which should cause you any issues. you also need to ensure you get all the correct 8v water pipes, as many mi16 conversion can use an adapter-for-use pipe which goes from the heater matrix to the thermostat housing (a big long pipe :lol: )

Sign in to follow this