• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kennygti

Rear Axle Questions.

kennygti

Ok. I went to a local garage where the mechanic has years of 205 experience to have the torsion bar reset on my 205 to lower the rear end. However after trying for some time he rang me and informed me that something on the bean was seized and my best bet (as i need my car every day so cannot be left overnight) was to obtain another and take it to him to unseize if necessary and adjust that one then he could fit it during the day whilst im working and could get my car back to me after work.

Now my questions are :

1) are the 1600 and 1900 beams different apart from brakes obviously

2) would anyone recommend a 309 axle instead (im only on 15" standard rims with 185/55 or poss maybe look into 195/50)

3) has anyone got any of the relevant axles for a 1900 or a 1600 if it will fit.

thanks for the info in advance guys.

welshpug

1, apart from the stub axles the brakes are bolted to no, exactly the same.

2, personally no, would rather stick to a 205 beam from what I have read of peoples experiences, uprated torsion bars, and 106 gti anti roll bars, are readily available.

3, i'm sure plenty of people have, though I'd try and source one from a scrappy yourself from a base model and swap the gti parts over.

kennygti

3, i'm sure plenty of people have, though I'd try and source one from a scrappy yourself from a base model and swap the gti parts over.

the only thing is i need my car every day and i dont have a clue about the torsion bars so would prefer either an already lowered beam or one that i can just give to the mechanic to do.

Cheers for the info though.

kennygti

just realised ive posted this topic in the incorrect bit.

could someone who knows what theyre doin please move it to the steering and suspension section :P

thanks

Peetypug

i have a unsiezed 1.6 rear beam in biddulph if your interested :P

Rom

Replacement beam is easiest.

Then when you have time you could sort your beam out, either swapping Gti parts to a base donor. And sell it, or rebuild it etc.

309 beams are like marmite :P

Im going to try mine when i get round to finishing the build on it. Its a cheap way to stiffen the rear, though it does alter the LOOS.

kennygti

Sorrentopete how much would you be after for the beam?

pug_ham

Moved into the correct forum section.

Graham.

DrSarty

I like my 309 beam. Looks & feels good.

I can help you do stuff with yours (remove - fit), although I entrusted by beam refurb to Anthony, as the work is quite an art and there's a knack to some of the brutality that can be involved.

But I don't like Marmite. :rolleyes:

Kenny you have PM.

Peetypug

i dont know what its worth.

Make me an offer, i can only its no use to me now i have a 309 beam