• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nick9one1

1.6 1.9 Gti Driveshaft Differences

nick9one1

The ns driveshaft has gone on my 1.9 gti. I have a 1.6 shaft to hand I can replace it with, but before i pull it out does anyone know if it will fit? I understand that it is probably weaker. but are they the same length/nut and spline diameters. This will only be for very short term.

Cheers,

Nick

large

I think the 1.6 is smaller on the hub end so will not fit. :)

pug_ham
I think the 1.6 is smaller on the hub end so will not fit. :)

It is, gearbox end & length are the same but the hub spline diameter is different so the 1.6 one won't work in 1.9 hubs.

Graham.

nick9one1

well its the bearing near the gearbox thats gone, not the hub end bearing. Could I take the bearings out of the 1.6 shaft and use them in the 1.9? or use just the hub end of the 1.9 shaft and use the 1.6 bearings and gearbox end?

nick9one1

well ive just tried separating the driveshaft at the hub end and i cant get it apart! any ideas?

pug_ham

1.6 GTI driveshafts are one piece & don't come apart.

Graham.

nick9one1

ah! looks like i may have a spare 1.6 shaft up for sale then!

nick9one1

Well i did it!!

my 1.9 shaft has now been repaired with a 1.6 although not completely without incident... here goes.

I decided just to replace the bearings at the gearbox side on the 1.9 shaft. because the boot had completely split I took half thedrive shaft out, leaving part of it plugging up the gearbox.

I then took all the bearings off the 3 spoked part including the washers either side of the needle bearing and the circlip that holds these on as the picture shows

th_29012009024.jpg

then the 3 spoked part knocked off with a mallet, so i could replace the cv boot.

then one by one i took the circlips off the 1.6 shaft and lined the bearings up so they could be slipped straight across,

th_29012009026.jpg

replaced the cirplip on the end of the bearings and Viola 1.6 bearing on a 1.9 shaft!

although this wasn't the end of my night.

I noticed the part of the driveshaft i left in the gearbox was way too low touching the subframe!

so i pulled the battery off to see what had happened to the engine mount.

th_29012009027.jpg

during the rebuild i had only put the top two bolts in the battery tray forgetting about the other two.

th_29012009031.jpg

I guess this is what had been causing all the problems!

anyway i decided to jack the engine up and replace the two missing bolts so it was ready to be welded up.

but the good news is my driveshaft is now silent!

Edited by nick9one1

Sign in to follow this