• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yorkshirekowboy

Mi16 Liners, Pictures Included

yorkshirekowboy

im going to start rebuilding my other mi16 engine, and i have been inspecting it and came up with these pictures.

th_SNC00182.jpg

th_SNC00183.jpg

th_SNC00184.jpg4

the liners to me look good, what should i look for etc, also the engine turns by hand very easy to.

so what you guys think? if the liners and pistons ok, what should i replace while is off in bits?

thanks

dan

Edited by pugtorque
Image filesize, click thumbnail for fullsize. Remember the pm?

Dave_McC

For the liners, you need to check 2 things - first is for a wear lip which will be about 1cm down from the top and will be much more pronounced on the exhaust side. If there's much of a lip there, they're probably shot. A bit of a lip and honing will get rid of it.

The other thing to check is liner protrusion - you need a long straight edge (I used the edge of a long steel ruler) - and check how much the liners protrude above the block - can't remember off top of my head but think about 3 - 4 thou sounds about right.

Assuming you're pulling the liners out, also check for corrosion in the block on the face where the liner seats - lots of corrosion (pitting etc) and you'll never get a seal.

Dave

SPGTi

Dave McC has said the main things to look out for with the liners, also they tend to go oval. IMHO you need to decide exactly what you want to do. If you are looking to change the big end / main bearings, piston rings, liner seals, have the liners honed, lighten and balance etc etc I would be very surprised if liners were good enough. I am in the process of rebuilding a Mi16 bottom end and decided to change everything. I have just decided to stop searching for 2nd hand liners and had to buy some new ones. The ones I had weren't too bad but even after a good hone you could still feel the lip and after spending on everything else it seemed silly to skimp on this part.

Steve

yorkshirekowboy
Dave McC has said the main things to look out for with the liners, also they tend to go oval. IMHO you need to decide exactly what you want to do. If you are looking to change the big end / main bearings, piston rings, liner seals, have the liners honed, lighten and balance etc etc I would be very surprised if liners were good enough. I am in the process of rebuilding a Mi16 bottom end and decided to change everything. I have just decided to stop searching for 2nd hand liners and had to buy some new ones. The ones I had weren't too bad but even after a good hone you could still feel the lip and after spending on everything else it seemed silly to skimp on this part.

Steve

ace thanks, how much were the liners? also you sourcing your parts ie piston rings big end bearings etc from pug?

Dave_McC

I bought most of the bits I needed from QEP - but I didn'y buy new liners - managed to pick up another set off fleabay which were pretty good.

Dave

Mikey S
the liners to me look good, what should i look for etc, also the engine turns by hand very easy to.

so what you guys think? if the liners and pistons ok, what should i replace while is off in bits?

thanks

dan

i'd be very careful about turning it over without the liners clamped down. it doesnt take a lot to dislodge the liner and wreck the seal underneath it.

if your doing the liner protrusion, its supposed to be done without the seals present. i cant remember what its supposed to be though. it should be listed in the haynes.

mike

petert

If you can feel a lip with your finger nail then your liners are stuffed. The worst wear patch is approx. 25mm from the top on the exhaust (thrust) side. Some advocate turning them around 180 deg. All this does is put the wear patch on the inlet side. So pressure will still escape past the rings at this point. Finding a set of good 2nd hand liners in a working motor would be extremely rare these days. They're just too old.

SPGTi
ace thanks, how much were the liners? also you sourcing your parts ie piston rings big end bearings etc from pug?

Liners are around the £250 mark for 4. Sources are QEP, Maynard Racing etc etc. The other solution is to get oversized pistons but this wouls cost around £500 for 4. The machine shop sourced mine, it only seems as if KS ones are now available. Bearings, piston rings etc I once again sourced through the machine shop. These were all Federal Mogul AE. I let the machine shop source most things as he does not mark the prices up and gets them at trade, also he is going to assemble the engine for me so if anything does "break" then I won't have the argument that it was my sourced parts.

Steve

Sign in to follow this