• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dk73

Leaking Gearbox

dk73

Hi,Can anyone tell me how easy it is to take the nearside driveshaft off,So i can get to the bearing thing?Its coming out of that area,regards.

Richie-Van-GTi

Undo the driveshaft nut, loosen the poinch bolt on the bottom ball joint and seperate the hub from the wishbone, knock the shaft out then withdraw it from the gearbox. The oil seal is about £3 from local dealers and is simple to remove and refit.

dk73

Cheers buddy,thanks.

Roman

don't forget drain oil from gearbox first.... :)

richsmells

I watched Miles do this on mine, literally in about 5 minutes flat.

CosKev

Probably is drive shaft seal,but worth re-sealing diff cover while you got oil out of box :D

Also worth replacing the 'O' ring seals in the speedo drive housing :)

Richie-Van-GTi
Probably is drive shaft seal,but worth re-sealing diff cover while you got oil out of box ;)

Also worth replacing the 'O' ring seals in the speedo drive housing :P

yes it is worth doing but not something I would reccomend to someone with no experience. The diff drops out very easily and can be a scary sight, also easy get wrong and damage the box.

CosKev
yes it is worth doing but not something I would reccomend to someone with no experience. The diff drops out very easily and can be a scary sight, also easy get wrong and damage the box.

Oh right :wub:

Did mine with box out of car on floor,so piece of piss!!!!! :lol:

pug_ham
Probably is drive shaft seal,but worth re-sealing diff cover while you got oil out of box :)

Doing this with the gearbox stilll fitted in the engine bay is a real PITA, its much more of a gearbox off the car job.

The diff cover won't clear the subframe & once its undone the diff drops out of the gerabox & is a pain to keep in place & it drips oil so getting a decent clean & dry surface for the sealant is almost impossible imo.

I'd be very surprised if this was the leak anyway, if its been on since new I can't seeit suddenly starting to leak so the drivehsfat oil seal is far morelikely but worth checking the drain nut is tight before you start taking everything apart.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this