• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
boombang

Building Tarmac Rally 1600 Engine - What Spec To Aim To & Mods Req

boombang

I've stripped down an old spare engine just out of curiousity, and aside from headgasket failure it appears to be very good. No stepping on liners, still showing honing marks, and piston skirts look untouched.

At the moment I've got a 1900 in the car but want to get down to 1600 class whilst keeping to a fairly tight budget.

I have so far:

almost mint 1.6 pistons, rods, liners

one untouched 8 valve head

one modified head from mfield. Came from IIRC a 145bhp 1.9 engine that ran on 45s

pair 40's (had them on the 1.9 running perfectly)

Omex ignition management

Mi16 flywheel & TPS

With the carbs and ignition management do have a fair bit of flexibility and options open to me.

Don't want to spend stupid amounts here, but may be tempted to up the budget to get it right.

Thinking at the moment of selling off my current engine complete. This would leave me with the standard head (do a cleanup job on it) as the modded head is on my current 1900 block.

Unsure of what cam options are open to me without having to mod the head too much, and without having to go stupid on compression.

Also I know the 1.6 pistons can be used to raise 1.9 engine compression easy enough, but where do you go with a 1.6 engine to get compression up?

The engine I stripped ran standard Pug headgasket and belts so assuming it's never been skimmed (will measure to check). Worth skimming to get compression up, and if so how much for what compression (tried a search but didn't get too far!). What are detrimental effects of skimming, and is only other solution decking block and liners?

Any idea on costs of decking block and liners and having measure up to check protrusion?

Once I work out a starting point can start working out the intricate bits so any pointers would be helpful.

welshpug

ask Neal about the head skim :)

other than that different pistons, circa £450.

you'd certainly need a vernier pulley if you do, get the compression to a decent level and you can use most cams out there, its the injection that's the main restriction, not a problem you have.

ignition you have sorted :)

Sign in to follow this