• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
samauty

1.6 Down On Power

samauty

Hey there!

Just recently changed my thermostat on my 1.6 89 GTI as the car was running cool, and the heater was only getting warm after a long run. So I suspected the old one was stuck open and proved to be right!

The car now has a working heater!

However, since it is now running a bit hotter it appears to be slighty down on power. The car uses no oil and water, and has done 10,000 miles since a complete re build.

Any thoughts? I wondered if the timing was now slighty out?

Sam

Richie-Van-GTi

true temp readings will now run the car slightly leaner, it would of previously overfueled slightly. Great top end but bad bottom end. It may just need a good set up :)

DrSarty

Engine 600cc too small?

:D - :)

samauty

Yeah Im sure it would benefit from a rolling road setup :(

Haha I would like more than 1600cc too, however Im 21 and insurance is still a bit on the pricey side, plus Iam learning to drive the 1600cc well before getting something a bit more powerful

Is a 1.9 much quicker than a 1.6 anyway?

DrSarty
Is a 1.9 much quicker than a 1.6 anyway?

Well there's either the penny, or the £2million question.

It can be answered in standard production line form with a simple 'yes'. The 1.9 generates more torque and also more BHP. This larger displacement in conjunction with the gearbox (which is longer geared on the 1.9) enables the 1.9 to deliver more torque at the wheels over a broader range of usable engine revs. Net result = faster, so yes, as the 0-60 and top speed specifications and any like for like straight line test will prove no doubt.

But, and this is the big but, a standard 1.6 could potentially be driven quicker over a certain course or stretch of road based on factors like gearing, wheel & tyre size (and type) and of course driver ability considerably quicker. I believe there is also a slight weight difference between the two.

And ironically, one car can be faster than another on the same stretch of road simply by having better brakes!

So as we have 2 or more ways of looking at this, there isn't really a simple answer to your question as so many factors are involved.

Greg205

1.9's are for people with something to compensate for..... :P;)

DrSarty
1.9's are for people with something to compensate for..... ;);)

:P

So what does that say about me then with 2187cc?

steve@cornwall

So what does that say about me then with 2187cc?

;)

You know what it says........... hence my latest 1124cc ;)

Tom Fenton

These days I find the difference not that great. 1600's in my experience seem to have aged pretty well, whereas 1900's seem to vary wildly. I think a 1600 is on par with a poor 1900 and not far behind a good one.

Aside from all that I also enjoy driving the 1600 more than a 1900, far more rewarding as the tacho needle swings round past 6000rpm where the 1900 is flat as a flat thing on national flat day.

samauty

Having never driven a 1.9, I cant really comment on the matter. But I love my 1.6 on my favourite B roads, it's lovely and revy and still gives many of today hot hatchs a good run for their money!

I currently run a completely standard car and to be honest I am not a great fan of moding 205 gti's as I feel they are worth money money kept standard. Any thoughts or major improvements that can be made to the car for little money, without affecting distant classical status?

ALEX

Taking a bog standard GTI to the rollers is a bit of a waste of money IMO, as there's not much he can adjust.

If you've fit a performance cam, running carbs, or want an ECU mapping, then I'm sure they're worth every penny.

for £35ish on ebay (or £60ish new) buy a gas tester and do it yourself, or you could pay a Krypton tuner to come out to set it to the factory settings for you.

I tune mine by setting the mixture and timing by adjusting the advance on the distributor and the mixture screw on the AFM to the book setting using the gas tester and strobe.

Take it for a spin with an 11mm spanner with you, you usually can advance the timing by advancing the distributor position by about 2-3 degrees.

try booting it advancing it about a degree at a time until too far it starts becoming flat (noticeably slower) then knock it back to the previous setting.

Check the emissions again and adjust the AFM screw and tick over speed to the correct settings.

This method has always worked for me.

The biggest flaw with the design of the common GTi set up is the distributor advance.

There's a mechanical sprung bob weight that increases the distributor advance with the engine speed.

It's unreliable as the weight seize with age and a best guess of what the engine really needs to perform at it's best.

Ideally it would be best and more reliable to replace the old hat Distributor design with a coil pack and cotrol the advance with a programable ECU.

It would need taking to the rollers to set up though, but at least the tuner would have more to play with.

Edited by ALEX

Sign in to follow this