• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dk73

Is My 1.9 Engine Knacked?

dk73

hi,ive a 1.9 gti with an engine problem,the story goes,i filled my resovoir up to the max level,took the cap off and got the engine warm just to see that i put the right amount in and to stop any air locks,drove it down the road for about 3 miles,i then put my foot down up to 5 thousand rpm,then a noise happened.the noise as i can only say was like a dump valve noise explodsion type of thing,the car hasnt lost any power and there isno smoke or burning oil and evev no water loss.the dipsticks clean with no cream,when i start it after a few minutes it makes a noise coming from the engine,like a bounceing noise its hard to describe,i dont think its the bottom ends has the noise that makes is alot louder and seems to be coming from the top end???any ideas??

jimistdt

DK, your running 'round here like a bull in a chinashop at the minute, mate. Take your time, get used to the Forum and how it works.

I'm not being finicky but this is in the wrong section, and if people think you can't be @rsed, then they won't be arsed to help you.

Have a look through this TOPIC , and see if you can relate to any of it.

Peace.

dk73

hi jimi,cheers for the advice,this sites a bit confuseing,i put it in general chat and the noise is deff not the bottom ends,it doesnt sound like a tractor,the reason im asking alot is that its doing my head in,people keep telling me different things,i just want to know thats all,im on the right website am i?

jimistdt

No worries, Dave, welcome to the Forum BTW, it really is the only place for 205 owners due to the wealth of knowledge on here.

If you look at the main menu on the forum you'll see its split into different sections, Bodywork, performance mods, events and so on. There is a bit for the XU engines under technical, this should be in there really.

But best of all is the SEARCH funtion, it takes a bit of mastering, but well worth taking the time to get used to it.

We're not all miserabale gits on here and many people will help you with specific probs.

Back on topic; Did you find anything in the thread i posted?

dk73

k,nice 1 for that jimi,i get it now thanks for that mate,as to what you posted no it didnt,mines a less of a noise and not coming from the bottom end?i dont know mate?

pug_ham

Dave, l

Like Jimi says, please think about what you are asking before you start a topic & consider the section you are posting it in for its the correct one.

I sent you a pm explaining that the section you have posted almost all of your topics in thus far is for questions, comments and suggestions about the website and forum & not for technical ones.

Engine & gearbox questions for the 205 GTI are XU service & manitenance or misc general technical.

The other sections are fairly self explanatary.

General car chat is for non technical 205 GTi topics or questions about non 205 tech stuiff.

Graham.

dk73

graham,i know now thanks dave.

Baz

What's_wrong_with_your_space_bar_and_enter_key??

Itmakesitverydifficulttoreadwithoutanyspacesorparagraphing.

:o

dk73

c h e e k y u n t, n o t h i n g w r o n g t h i s s i d e .

Mikey S

any chance of posting a video of it running mate? will make it alot easier to pinpoint it.

dk73

Nice thanks I'm getting somewhere now apart from a few people bullying.

Pugger, I will film engine running tomorrow and post it asap.

Thank you for your offer of help and not taking the *iss.

Like I said I'm new to the site and having some problems navigating round it.

Note to anyone else....LOOK SPACE AND ENTER WORK FINE. THINK PUNCTUATION IS A LITTLE BETTER TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

dcc

306 gti forum is that way >>>>

Goliath

TBH I have absolutely no idea what could be wrong with your engine, however I have a few suggestions which may help.

1) Its not quite clear whether, when you went for a drive, you emptied the header tank down to Max mark or drove it with it bung full. Assuming the latter I would suggest looking and seeing if there is any drastic difference in water level.

2) Does the noise affect anything? i.e. when the 'noise' starts do you feel a vibration through the steering wheel or pedals, or does the car drive any differently (maybe much less power)

3) Have a quick look around for anything obvious, like loose nuts/bolts

4) If you have some spare cash, and dont fancy diagnosing a potentially buggered engine, then why not buy another engine off someone on here or ebay for about £50-100 and just change the engine. If you don't know how to change an engine then i'm sure some people on here would be happy to help for fuel costs+cups of tea/coffee.

P.S. It is soooo much easier to read your posts when you put the odd line spacing where apropriate (Like you have above)

dk73

how do i post a video?

MerlinGTI

upload it to youtube/photobucket or whatever and post the link here

jimistdt
how do i post a video?

Morning mate!! :)

Some phones will let you Email a vid to a Photobucket account, then post the link onto this thread, otherwise you need one of them Data cable jobbies that connects to your computer.

dk73

Afternoon, I will post so you all can see what I mean.

Strange thing is that the engine purrs like a cat, but the rattling sounds like an alternator bearing.

Its not that though, its coming from the head area.

Could it be a tappet or something? I haven't lost any power or anything, waters fine too, no smoke or leaks.

GLPoomobile

Is your cambelt cover metal or plastic? If it's the metal one, see if it's rattling.

dk73

Metal and tight?

Arahan

Does the rattling appear louder at certain RPM's?

dk73

No mate,Its when it ticks over and then rev the engine slowly.The sound is like a sort of tappet noise,bouncing off something on the top end of the head?

steve@cornwall
No mate,Its when it ticks over and then rev the engine slowly.The sound is like a sort of tappet noise,bouncing off something on the top end of the head?

Sounds from the above rather like a cracked manifold or sheared manifold stud

dk73

Checked all that thanks,When it first happened it made a sort of dump valve noise when i drove it.Its a standard 1.9 engine,Its not loseing any water and oil pressures fine?

steve@cornwall
Checked all that thanks,When it first happened it made a sort of dump valve noise when i drove it.Its a standard 1.9 engine,Its not loseing any water and oil pressures fine?

plugs all still tight in th block?

large

Apart from this sound is the car running and driving ok. Could it be the injectors ticking?

If the car is driving ok them go and enjoy it and welcom to the forum :) .

Sign in to follow this