• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kgmack

205 Xs Brakes

kgmack

Does anyone know what the best brake upgrade for the 205 xs that will fit under the 1.6 gti wheels.

any help would be great full

Anthony

1.9 GTi brakes bolt straight on (and are a massive improvement) and fit under some 1.6 GTi wheels - they fit under the Speedlines but not SMR's from memory, atleast without shaving/modifying the caliper slightly to give clearance. Otherwise, 1.9 disks and 1.6 calipers will fit, but finding good 1.6 calipers is always an issue these days...

swordfish210

I'd go with the 1.6 calipers and 1.9 discs. I'm running this set-up on my track car and it works fine.

kgmack

Thanks i can get some 1.9 calipers off my mate and see if they fit under my wheels cheers

DaveW

You wont be able to use the 13'' steel wheels anymore on the front if you do fit 1.9 calipers.

marc t

I've bolted 1.6 front hubs with 1.6 discs straight on the XS driveshafts. Then you could either use the 1.6 calipers (with 1.6 caliper bolts) or the 1.9 calipers using 1.9 caliper bolts (much better as you don't get the clunk in reverse that 1.6 calipers suffer when they get a bit of wear) - The flexy hoses from the xs go straight into either caliper

Anthony
I've bolted 1.6 front hubs with 1.6 discs straight on the XS driveshafts. Then you could ... use ... the 1.9 calipers using 1.9 caliper bolts

That's the setup I'm running on my XS currently - 1.6 hubs, 1.6 disks, 1.6 alloys, 1.9 calipers and 1.9 bolts.

AdamP

I've just converted to 1.6 calipers and 1.9 discs.

The calipers are infact exactly the same as the XS ones however they have a wider pad carrier. This can be unbolted and changed and therefore allow you to convert without fiddling with any of the hydraulics :lol:

Will Eastman

sorry to hijack the thread but can you use xs calipers with 1.9 disc, will this give much improvment??

AdamP
sorry to hijack the thread but can you use xs calipers with 1.9 disc, will this give much improvment??

As long as you use the 1.6 pad caliper. It wont give any improvement in braking power but it will reduce brake fade.

tdr_1976
I've just converted to 1.6 calipers and 1.9 discs.

The calipers are infact exactly the same as the XS ones however they have a wider pad carrier. This can be unbolted and changed and therefore allow you to convert without fiddling with any of the hydraulics <_<

Unless of course, your unlucky enough to have these fitted on your calipers....

I'm still waiting for my special socket to arrive, to get the job done...... :)

fookinbolts.jpg

Lan
I'd go with the 1.6 calipers and 1.9 discs. I'm running this set-up on my track car and it works fine.

thats what I run on my xs aslong as the calipers are in good working order they are perfectly fine

the bonus is the 1.6 calipers are lighter than the 1.9's

AdamP

I've got one of those 5 sided sockets in my collection now, I had the same problem as you!

tdr_1976
I've got one of those 5 sided sockets in my collection now, I had the same problem as you!

Isn't it marvellous!

I purchased the socket last Tuesday, and I've still yet to receive it, I've sent an email last week to ask if it had been sent out, no reply!

I have since found them in the Sealey online shop, tempted to buy it and tell the ebay shop to shove it, I still might get it quicker..... :)

miamichris

I have this set up too, a lot better than the standard ones!

pug_ham
1.9 GTi brakes bolt straight on (and are a massive improvement) and fit under some 1.6 GTi wheels - they fit under the Speedlines but not SMR's from memory

I've recently gone back to standard size brakes on my car due to fitting some PTS 1.6 GTI negative camber front hubs & I'm running 1.6 discs with 1.9 Girling calipers but have absolutely no clearance issue & (although I've got Speedline 1.6 alloys) can't see that SMR's would cause any problems.

There is loads of space & I'll try an SMR to check when I have chance to.

Also, if anything my brakes are much better balanced now as well. :)

With regards to the five sided bolt / socket, a decent 12 point socket (or cheap six point & hammer) works just as well iirc & then refit them with normal bolts.

Graham.

Anthony

There's no issue on 1.6 offset hubs as the caliper is another 10mm or so away from the inside of the wheel - it's with base model and 1.9 offset hubs, whereby the caliper is alot closer to the inside of the wheel and can foul with Girling (1.9) calipers.

Probably a tolerance issue too, like I've got with the two sets of 15" Laser (XSi/S16) alloys I have for my 306 - one set fit perfectly, whereas the other set were of a slightly tighter tolerance and with fresh pads would catch the inside of the spokes on the GTi-6 calipers :)

pug_ham

lol, of course, I wasn't accounting for the hub offset. :blush:

Saves me trying the SMR on my hubs though for no point.

Graham.

tdr_1976

Just been out for a 20 mile spin to test out the new brake setup........ it's made a huge difference, loads of bite, with excellent cooling and performance under heavy prolonged breaking.

I couldn't resist a couple of quick pics of the setup :)

Dscf2663.jpg

Dscf2665.jpg

Edited by tdr_1976