• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
unariciflocos

Starter Motor Problem

unariciflocos

I have a problem with my starter motor. I take it off the car and it runs perfectly, i put it back in and it won't turn the engine.

When the engine is cold it does turn it and i manage to start the engine, but it makes a really nasty sound. After the engine is hot, or at temperature, it won't turn at all. I've had two fully charged 65 Amp batteries connected in the car, but still won't turn. I have really good low and high beam, everything has power, but when i turn the ignition the engine turns once and all the lights go dim.

I really don't know what to do and it's really frustrating. If i want to turn the engine off , I have to wait for it to cool in order to start it again.

Cheers,

Andrei

Greg205

What condition are the teeth on the starter and flywheel in? any of them look chewed up?

unariciflocos

I replaced the flywheel yesterday and the problem persisted. Today I replaced the cog that slides into the flywheel with one from a spare starter motor. After that I put some spacers between the gearbox and starter motor and pulled the starter motor as far away from the engine as possible so it won't grab too tight into the flywheel and now it works like a dream.

I still get some problems when the engine is hot because of the 11:1 compression. But if I hit the ignition several times until it starts from a position from which it can get some momentum it's ok. Will have to find a diesel starter motor.

Greg205

plenty of them about.

Sign in to follow this