• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
marsy

Chugging Noise Coming From The Rear

marsy

Wondering if anyone can help me, iv had a search but cant find anything,

Iv got a fairly loud chuggin noise (bit like a train lol) coming from the rear of the car, it only happen's when its moving and the faster i go to quicker the noise gets aswell.

Not to sure what to check yet, il ava good look on the weekend at everything, its a 1.9

Last week i had to change my rear brake pads as on one side of the car they were completely down. The other side was fine (i only changed them 5 months ago) My guess was the calipar was playing up as it was stiff, but put some grease onit and it started move fine and unseize, to be able to slot the pads in. (sorry dont now the actual name of parts on the calipar lol)

A week after doing this, im starting to get this noise. But not to sure if it could be anything related?

If anyone could help or post me a link so i can have a good read off, that would be great. Thanks

Anthony

Three obvious guesses...

Brake binding (which would tie-up with you wearing the pads out prematurely on one side)

Pad retaining bar fallen off and pads come loose (again, ties up if you were working around there recently)

Tire rubbing on something (handbrake cable, inner wheel arch if the beam's knackered etc)

Jack the back of the car up, spin the wheel and trace the noise. Don't carry on driving until you've identified what's causing the noise!

RossD

Or of course a wheel bearing - If your caliper has been binding it's possible the heat has killed the bearing.

marsy

Thanks for reply guys, i'll check it out tomorrow down the garage! Thanks.

happygoron

I had a similar problem. When we took the brakes apart we found that the pads wern't sitting in the guide on the piston correctly and binding I think. We stripped the rear brakes, had a clean up and made sure the pistons were free then reassembled and all is fine now.

marsy

Checked it out today and thankfully it wasnt to bad, just the pad retaining clip had fallen off and the pad was moving back and fo. When i took my wheel off i noticed by bump stop had vanished aswell and it was there last week. They've been digging up the roads around by me lately so thats probily the reason.

Thanks Guys for your suggestions.