• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
macamizer

Rear Beam

macamizer

what other rear beams can you fit to a 205 apart from the 309 one,dose a 306 fit and is it the same track as the 309?

Baz

Do a search! No the 306 beam doesn't fit, different mounting points and is even wider than a 309 one.

Cloverleaf
Do a search! No the 306 beam doesn't fit, different mounting points and is even wider than a 309 one.

This got me thinking, and I did a search but no joy! If it's been posted before it's been lost in all the many posts on beams!

What is the difference in width between the two (wheel mounting face)?

And also a bit more specifically what's the difference in mounting points? Could you just make some new mounts and fit one? Anyone ever done it?

What size arb and tb does the 306 GTi-6 have?

Thanks,

Joe

pug_ham
what's the difference in mounting points? Could you just make some new mounts and fit one? Anyone ever done it?

Its the front mounts that are most different, the rears ones are fairly similar & wouldn't be a big problem imo.

205 front mounts;

dscf3929fw1.th.jpg

rearbeamswap5.jpg

306 mounts;

306bbmkitwg4.th.jpg

You can see the difference between the two front mounts of the 205 & 306 in the pictures above. It would be possible to make a different front mount for the 306 beam to fit it to the 205 but afaik the mounts are spaced wider on the 306 beam so the 205 shell would need redrilling for them to fit so its not worth it.

I have heard that Spoox made one fit but I wouldn't bother.

What size arb and tb does the 306 GTi-6 have?

306 GTi-6 has 20mm TB's & a 24mm ARB along with the 306 hdi D turbo.

Graham.

Cloverleaf

That's really interesting actually....my beam is ruined in my 309 GTi and GTi-6 ones are much more readily available....

I'm just about to start making my own multi point weld in cage and was going to link it in to the rear beam mounts (it's similar to the custom cages design) which requires some reinforcing of the floor etc so making new mounts at the front also wouldn't make much difference.

The main problem I could see would be fitting the wheels in the arches if it's significantly wider, I also have a 306 HDi D Turbo tho so will have to get outside and measure it somehow.

What size are the 309 GTi arb and tb?

Thanks,

Joe

Baz

the one that i've seen has the beam front mounts come through the shell near the rear seats though, it also looked pretty terrible from an engineering POV, as well as the fact that the wheels sat out well too wide. Would be possible yes, would require some fabrication to do it properly, but i'm with Graham, too much hassle IMO, i wouldn't bother!

pug_ham
What size are the 309 GTi arb and tb?

Both 20mm.

There are now several companies making uprated bars for both the 205 & 309 beams so the only benefit gained from fitting the 306 beam would be the extra rear track width which imo isn't worth it for all the work involved & 205's are best on the original beam when its in good condition but with uprated bars.

Graham.

omega
Both 20mm.

There are now several companies making uprated bars for both the 205 & 309 beams so the only benefit gained from fitting the 306 beam would be the extra rear track width which imo isn't worth it for all the work involved & 205's are best on the original beam when its in good condition but with uprated bars.

Graham.

think ive read that saxo arb are 25 mill and fit straight on

Cloverleaf
extra rear track width which imo isn't worth it for all the work involved & 205's are best on the original beam when its in good condition but with uprated bars.

I hear what you're saying, but as I have a 309 it's already wider than a 205 beam, so the question is how much wider is a 306 beam than a 309 beam. If it's say less than 100mm then it might look ok and from what I can find from searching the TB's would be the same OD (20mm) but i'd gain a 24mm ARB (plus the extra track) for less than a second hand 100k mile 309 beam!

Baz, what do you mean it looked nasty from an engineering point of view?! Was it just done badly?

Joe

pug_ham
think ive read that saxo arb are 25 mill and fit straight on

You probably remember that from this topic but the best we came up with is the 106 GTI that has a 24mm arb but its slightly thinner (nothing to worry about though).

Graham.

Cloverleaf
You probably remember that from this topic but the best we came up with is the 106 GTI that has a 24mm arb but its slightly thinner (nothing to worry about though).

Graham.

Also, isn't it 1mm shorter than a 205 arb so wont fit a 309 beam?

Joe

pug_ham

A 106 GTI rear arb definately won't fit a 309 rear beam.

It'll be at least 51mm to short iirc.

Graham.

pug_ham
A Saxo / 106 torsion bar is 26mm shorter than a 205 TB and 62mm shorter than a 309 TB, therefore too short.

Chris

From Chris measurements the saxo / 106 GTI arb will be a similar amount different in length to the 309 one, maybe more.

Graham.