• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dan Ingram

Coil Packs

Dan Ingram

My GTi6 is suffering from an intermittent miss fire. Its like a lead breaking down but they don't have them obviously. I've tried new plugs, checked all the earths, plugs and connectors and there doesn't seem to be any problems. The only thing I can think of is a coil pack becoming faulty. Is there any way of testing them or am I going to have to get a new coil pack and see if it sorts it?

Thanks

Dan

Richie-Van-GTi

Has it kicked up a fault code? If not then inspect them carefully. Ive seen a few where over heating ofd the coil is apparent so the broken one has been easy to spot. Failing that let the fault develop so you can pin it down to one pot.

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

Dan Ingram

I've not checked for fault codes. I'd have no idea how to.

DrSarty

You'll hate this answer, but in the absence of fault coding, can you not obtain just one, known good pack, and replace one-by-one and see if you rectify the problem by a process of elimination? Many CPs only cost £15.

Edited by DrSarty

munster

You can check coils with a multimeter. I did this on my bike the other day following the Haynes instructions.

Check your manual, i dont see why car coils would be much different.

Dan Ingram
You'll hate this answer, but in the absence of fault coding, can you not obtain just one, known good pack, and replace one-by-one and see if you rectify the problem by a process of elimination? Many CPs only cost £15.

I was thinking I'd probably have to do this. I didn't realise they were that cheap though.

You can check coils with a multimeter. I did this on my bike the other day following the Haynes instructions.

Check your manual, i dont see why car coils would be much different.

I haven't got a 306 haynes. I'll have to see if I can look it up somewhere. I'll see if I can test them if not I'll get a new one and see if I can work out which one is at fault.

leon 1.9

Well surely a quick check of impedance using a multimeter ought to give a clue, if you check all 4 and one looks to have a very different impedance it could be faulty? I could be talking out my arse but it'd only take one minute to stick a meter across each of them anyway. Worth a go.

ALEX

I'd have thought a coilpack would fail compleatly rather than cause a symptom. all they are is a coil of wire right?

HT leads ok?

Edited by ALEX

Sign in to follow this