• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
swordfish210

Mi16 Emissions/running Problems

swordfish210

Hi, i recently bought the 405 MI16 that was advertised on here as being unable to pass an MOT emissions test. It's allready had a new exhaust, CAT and Lambda sensor. When i went to look at it it was idiling very roughly and would die if you revved it. When i got it home i started by pulling out the plugs and checkin them and the coils/leads. The plugs were very sooty but not wet and two of the plug holes were full, and i mean full, of water. I drained all of that out and dried everything off and it was idiling a lot better but if you revved it, it would rev up OK then die as you let off the throttle. I had a play around with the sensors on the thermostat and i found there were 3 sensors. A green plug, a brown plug and a blue plug. I know the blue one operates the guage but what do the other two do. I also removed all of the air box and found there was no air filter in it :ph34r:

Is there anything else i should check that would obviously be causing the high emissions. Thanks. Mark

welshpug

Green one would be for the ECU, Brown is for the fans on an A/C model.

what I would do is test the sensors, AND the wiring, back to the ecu, as well as any power feeds :unsure:

swordfish210

Well this one hasnt got air con so i guess that would make the brown one redundant then. Might replace the green sensor to see if that makes any difference. I took it for a drive up and down the street a minute ago. It was idiling ok (despite not having any airbox on) but as soon as i started driving it it just wanted to die, then it would accelarate, then as soon as i lifted off the throttle it would die again?

welshpug

sounds like a possible dicky idle valve, or a throttle position sensor, not sure what tests you can do to the idle valve.

swordfish210
sounds like a possible dicky idle valve, or a throttle position sensor, not sure what tests you can do to the idle valve.

Replace it :unsure: I'll have a poke around with them when i get some free time. Thanks again mate.

mhyphenl

what I would do is test the sensors, AND the wiring, back to the ecu, as well as any power feeds :)

Hi,

Had similar problems with my standard 8v and just about checked everything, in the end I called in the help of a customer of mine that runs a mobile diagnostic business. He told me he'd got a new toy that we could try, a smoke tester. He hooked the thing up and found the problem within 30 seconds. leaks in the AFM itself and the rubber tube from the AFM to the throttle body. The leaks were undetectable with the naked eye but very obvious with the smoke. He said even a tiny leak can cause havoc! The machine is so good he has to charge £25 just to hook the thing up as it barely takes him 5 mins and his hourly earnings are down :lol:

Try and find someone with the equipment as it really is an eyeopener :unsure:

Cheers, Martin

welshpug

if only I knew earlier Mark, I passed through Chippenham twice today!

swordfish210

D'oh!....well if you're ever around this way again :unsure:

Miles

I guess this is ZOW... old car?, No Air filter helps get the emission's down so I would guess why this has been removed, If it's not the Green ECU sensor then check everything that's been replaced, As we all know just because it's new doesn;t mean it's any good along with any old bodge's who know's

swordfish210

Yeah it is zowwow's old car, i was going to pull the Lambda sensor out to see if the nose was broken off, i'll have a good look at it tomorrow and i'll let you all know how it went.