• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Peetypug

Just A Quick Question

Peetypug

i've got a 1.9 alloy block engine in my garage, but i've never heard it running

what i want to know is other than putting it in a car and trying to start it, how can i tell if its a good engine?

when i turn it over by the crank there is compression and no nasty noises

there's no bits of metal in the oil

thanks

pete

davepug205

Give it a shake an see if any thing rattles :o

The condition of the plugs might tell you how it was running :rolleyes:

Dave

M@tt

You can't really tell how good compression is by turning it over by hand although as you said it's a good indication as to whether theres obviously amiss such as the valves hitting the pistons but assuming it came from a running car it should be ok on that front.

To check the bottom end you want to get some plastigauge and check the clearances to see what sort of state the bearings/crank are in. Have a look at Tom Fentons turbo conversion thread for piccy's if you're not sure about it. Got to be worth a fivers worth of plastigauge and an hour or so checking it for piece of mind.

Peetypug

well it was in a car i bought, its had the loom converted but i didn't know where to start as the car was in such a state!

it had no loom on it, no fuel pipes, no ecu, no ignition switch, no battery terminals etc etc

so i whipped it out without even trying to start it

most of the above were found in the car amongst a load of crap, but it was too late by then

it has run in another 205 before, but as i say i just want to be sure

thanks both of you

ORB

while it is out, pull it to bits, bang a hg on it (then you can see inside) and whip the sump off.

Peetypug
while it is out, pull it to bits, bang a hg on it (then you can see inside) and whip the sump off.

it had a head gasket very recently

the reason i want to check it is that i'm selling it

if i plugged the loom into my 205, added a battery to the starter and alternator would it then turn over?

i'm not bothered about it starting, just turning over

M@tt

wouldn't even need the loom just connect +ve battery lead to starter and -ve to the block somewhere and then run another wire from starter solenoid to battery +ve and she'll spin over :rolleyes: make sure she's secured though, you don't want her toppling over on you or damaging itself

Edited by M@tt

Peetypug

cheers matt

it'll be hanging on the engine hoist

will i need to re-fit the gerabox?

Anthony

If you only want to crank it over, then you just need to fit the gearbox, power and earth for the starter, and then a wire between the battery and solenoid to engage it - don't even need to bolt it into the car (although I would get someone to hold it steady)

However, that will only show you compression. You really need to hear it running or to pop the sump off and inspect the big-end shells to hear whether it's spun/knackered a big-end shell which unfortunately alot have. The lack of metal in the oil is a good sign, but not conclusive.

Peetypug

sorry for the stupid questions

i've never tried to start an engine out of a car

if i connect the loom into the car

add the crank sensor, throttle position sensor, fuel lines and battery would it start?

DrSarty
sorry for the stupid questions

i've never tried to start an engine out of a car

if i connect the loom into the car

add the crank sensor, throttle position sensor, fuel lines and battery would it start?

In theory yes, why wouldn't hit. However, where are gonna get the fuel pumped from under pressure?

I was gonna suggest that a compression test would be a good start - after inspecting the main bearings/shells, which would also let you see the oil state too - which is easily achievable as described above. Power, starter and gearbox, comp tester and a sturdy set-up to grip it and you should at least find out if the HG is good and the rings & valves are sealing.

Good luck. I'm 'home' soon so can help.

Peetypug

i dont want to go to all the hassle of half stripping the engine.

The power has to go through the slam panel doesnt it?

M@tt
The power has to go through the slam panel doesnt it?

yeah it would if you want to connect all the loom up and start it from the key