• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave_McC

Test Starting New Mi16 Instal

Dave_McC

I'm nearing the point where I can test start my new Mi16 instal - I want to just make sure it starts before I refit the radiator / slam panel etc as access will then be pretty difficult for fault finding.

Plan is to turn over initially until I've got oil pressure showing on the gauge and then just try to get it started. At this point there will be no cooling system connect and although the PAS pump is connected and plumbed to the rack, the reservoir's not yet fitted.

Can someone just confirm I'm not going to do any damage to anything doing this. It's a freshly rebuilt engine (reground crank, new shells, new Catcams inlet cam etc). Plan is to just run it for a couple of minutes to check no major oil leaks.

Cheers

Dave

jplautomotive

pas will need fluid in it

turning over with no spark to get pressure yeah is good , but not for 2 long best do by hand

with new cams you need to run at fast idle for 20 mins or so to case harden them ie dont let it idle

so i think you may need water in it

i hate fresh engines cause you dont know what going to leak lol , i have before ran them up then fitted cams

jonny

added help from burtons web site

'Before starting the engine, turn the engine over by hand to ensure that it turns freely. Prime the oil system and check that everything is set to ensure that the engine starts straight away. The engine must not be turned over for any length of time on the starter. Once started, do not allow the engine to idle for the first 20 minutes and keep the revs to a minimum of 2500 rpm. This will ensure adequate lubrication of the cam and followers and reduce the contact force between the cam and follower. If any adjustments need to be made within the first 20 minutes, then shut the engine down. Do not allow the engine to idle. Please note that new hydraulic lifters may in some cases operate with excessive noise for a few minutes before they are fully charged with oil.'

Edited by jplautomotive

philfingers

You don't need PAS fluid. You won't do any harm to the pump as long as it's been used before it will have enough oil in it to lubricate it. I did a whole rally once with no fluid in the PAS in my 309, (the pipe burst straight after scrutineering, loosing 1/2 ltr fluid in a few minutes). So even after well over 100 competitive miles the no fluid (and no PAS!) pump was fine. i was willing to risk a seized PAS pump and the risk it could break the aux belt (and loose the alt). The pump was fine with new pipes and fluid afterwards

I certainly wouldn't run it for 2 mins without coolant. No harm for 20 secs tho. Just to check it will fire. put the oil in. If you have a oil/air cooler prime it with oil. Pull the plugs out (and disconnect the coil) and spin it up for 30 secs to get the oil around the system.

Reassemble, cross fingers and try and start it

Edited by philfingers

cybernck

well, just take the drive belt off the pump so it doesn't run at all et voila :rolleyes:.

Tom Fenton

You are safe to run it for 10-20sec with no coolant but no longer than that in my personal opinion.

The most important thing is to make 100% sure you have oil pressure before you let it bark up. Letting it fire without the oil system being fully primed is a recipe for disaster, so spin it on the starter with plugs out and injectors disconnected for as long as it needed to get oil pressure, sometimes it can take a while, but persevere.