• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
si-mi16

New Brakes

si-mi16

hi all, i have 1.9 gti with mi16 engine, the brakeswell thier crap to be quite honest

the car has a 1.6 gti rear beam with the 1.6gti drum brakes on the rear, it has four brake lines two for front two for rear.

i have 306 gti-6 front calipiers,discs and pads for the front,my question to you guys

Should the car still have the 2 brake lines running to the rear or should it be line then split off?

will i have any trouble bleeding the system with this setup?

mrswampy

Thats standerd pipe layout afaik

are they all adjusted correctly?

shouldnt have a problem bleeding them up

the gti6 fronts will improve things

si-mi16

is it standard pipe lay out for rear drum brakes?

it is a 1.9 gti but the rear beam siezed up so the previous owner changed the whole beam and at the time could only get hes hands on the 1.6 beam hence the rear drum brake setup.

Just wanting to check that with the drums there should still be two brake lines?

Mikey S
is it standard pipe lay out for rear drum brakes?

it is a 1.9 gti but the rear beam siezed up so the previous owner changed the whole beam and at the time could only get hes hands on the 1.6 beam hence the rear drum brake setup.

Just wanting to check that with the drums there should still be two brake lines?

no its not. the 1.6 only has 1 brake pipe that splits by the n/s/r tyre. 1 line then goes along to the o/s just above the tank.

richsmells

A lot of people upgrade the master cylinder to a larger diameter after fitting the 306 brakes to sort out the pedal feel/travel. Do a search for specifics as there's loads of info.

As said, the 1.6 setup has 3 lines from the master cylinder. It sounds as if you have a 1.9 line setup, if so, each of the rear lines will have a compensator which may be at fault.

si-mi16

right ok thats what i thought, how much would it be to change the setup, i.e i take it i would need a splitter of some kind to split the one line from the m/c to each rear drum?

Baz

Why do you want to change it though?