• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lfallgti

1.6 Gti Wiring Dilemma

lfallgti

right, here goes.

i recently bought a cheap 1990 1.6. it has what i am led to believe is the phase 2 loom with two brown plugs under the dash near the ecu.

after having just replaced the dash loom and loom through the bulkhead with the two brown plugs(engine side), due to the wires melting on the exhaust manifold and thus continuing inside the car, i have a few annoying problems.

1. i dont think i have all the wires in the blue 3 pin connector that goes on the fuseboard, i only have one thick red one on the middle pin, should there be a smaller red and yellow also, if so where do they go?

2. when i turn the switch for the headlights on i have no front lights or dash indication but the rear lights work. could this just be a bad connection on the stalk?

3. the hazards seem to work only for the rear indicators and dash, but the front indicators dont flash. when the indicators are switched on manually neither of them flash, again dodgy stalk connection?

4. when the ignition is turned on a full beam dash light is illuminated on the dash but no other lights are on. also the 25a fuse (f2) blows immediately.

5. the engine will turn over on the key, but not sure if the fuel pump is working.

6. i may be being stupid :) but is it at all possible to put the wrong plugs into the fuse board? it seems weird that all my rear lights work but i have no fronts. does anyone have a pic of a fuseboard with the plugs in as it shoud be?

i have managed to get the horn, map reading light, front and rear wash/wipe, clock, and rear window demist working but am a bit stumped as to how come the other things wont work. i'm pretty sure i have all the connections in the right place(bar what i mentioned above) as i literally just plugged the new loom in as the old one came out. i have checked all the fuses and they are ok.

i know this is a bit of a headache trying to understand but really appreciate any effort. i'm not great with electrics but thought i'd have a crack at this project and maybe learn a thing or two.

on a lighter note i do have a nice 1.9 to play with now so its not all bad.

thanks for taking the time to read all this crap

lee

dcc

Have you plugged back in the relay for the lights? (on the radiator i think)

to check the fuel pump, i just unclipped one of the pipes and put it into my fuel can. sure enough you will hear it if it is priming.

Greg205

I've got a 1990 phase 2 1.6, I'll have a look tomorrow..unfortunatly can't post pic's!

lfallgti
I've got a 1990 phase 2 1.6, I'll have a look tomorrow..unfortunatly can't post pic's!

ok, great, thanks

Sign in to follow this