• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dan Ingram

Gti6 Is Running, Woohoo

Dan Ingram

I got my GTi6 engine up and running last night. I finished building it all up this morning and filled it with water. Fired it up and let it get up to temperature, everything seems to be fine it idles ok, revs up nicely. When It got up to temperature I noticed this smoking

IMG00031-20090117-1310.jpg

I think its the fan resistor? It got red hot and the smoking turned out to be the plug melting so its obviously getting way to hot. Also the fan didn't kick in when it normally would so I had to turn the engine off. I'm guessing this is the reason why the fan didn't start. Why is it getting so hot? If I fit another one will that do the same thing or is it the fan resistor thats actually the problem? Is there any way of wiring the fan up without this?

Thanks

Dan

welshpug

yup, fan resistor, or was!

what you should have found if you left it to get hotter is that the high speed fans would come in.

Dan Ingram

I don't think it could get any hotter. Its completely destroyed the plug.

welshpug

I meant the engine temperature!

chop the plug off, join the wires and you'll have flat out fan on the lower temp :wub:

Edited by welshpug

hexhamstu
I meant the engine temperature!

chop the plug off, join the wires and you'll have flat out fan on the lower temp :wub:

or wire it up to a switch on the dash.

Dan Ingram

Excellent thanks. I didn't realise there were 2 stages of fan speed.

Sign in to follow this