• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
benny205mi16

Oil Pressure Guage

benny205mi16

Hello,

When I start my car (205 1.9GTI) the oil pressure guage is up and down although slowly going up.

it does make it to about 3/4 and then settle down.

How does this guage work?

colud there be a dirty pick up or sensor?

I have done a search and looked through my haynes manual, but not found much.

Anyone have any ideas as to the cause of this.

Thank you

daveyboyblack

There's a sender unit mounted in the front of the block. This measures the pressure and sends a signal electronically to the gauge in the dash. Generally speaking they're not very accurate and even less so when the oil's cold. Once the oil's up to temperature, you should be able to see the gauge move up and down when you squeeze/release the throttle. If it doesn't move doing this then most likely is that the sender unit's not working properly. New senders should be found quite easily, or you can upgrade for about £50 to an aftermarket gauge and sender.

Alternative is to fit an analogue gauge, where you have a direct oil line from the block into the gauge. These are more accurate (generally speaking) and respond a bit quicker but could potentially be a pain if you get a leak at any point.

Dave

benny205mi16

Thank you,

ill have a look at the sender unit.