• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AJPMIKE

Dash And Heater Control Illumination Going Off!

AJPMIKE

Hi all,occasionaly my dash and heater control illumination disappears,then comes back on by itself a little while afterwards.I'm guessing there is a common connector behind the dash somewhere that is poor?Any advice and experiences welcome :)

grandos

Check the variable resistor (knurled wheel) on the underside of the steering column trim as this varies the light intensity and therefore connected to all lights and could be the culprit.

AJPMIKE

Cheers Grandos,well worth a look before i take the dash out!I never even knew i had a dimmer:)

macamizer

sound like a connector problem

AJPMIKE

I moved the dimmer wheel very slightly to a different,slightly dimmer position,so we'll see if that cures it(so far so good on one night outing).What i did notice was that if i tried to move the wheel past the max brightness,it would blink out,so it could well be this variable resistor being just worn out in one position.Cheers,Mike

Tandoh

Ive got this same problem, but its is only the heater dial lights and the left dash light. I dont have a Dimmer switch anymore. Also one of the wires to the dimmer had been crushed where the pervious owner had tightened up the lower steering wheel housing with it suck ot:p

Any ideas??

Cheers

Luke

humanz

I'm having a similar problem. I'm getting warning lights by the clocks, but not illumination lights by the clocks, or heater controls, or ashtray/cigar lighter. In my tests, I've replaced the dimmer switch with a fuse, so the dimmer isn't the problem. I'm also listening for any suggestions.

humanz
I'm having a similar problem. I'm getting warning lights by the clocks, but not illumination lights by the clocks, or heater controls, or ashtray/cigar lighter. In my tests, I've replaced the dimmer switch with a fuse, so the dimmer isn't the problem. I'm also listening for any suggestions.

Found my problems. A couple lose connections at the fuseboard end, causing the interior lighting to sometimes not work, along with the reverse and side lights.

Cheers.