• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

Really Strange Thing Just Happened

chocolate_o_brian

Right I've just dropped my mother off at work as a favour, and was driving back home. Car nice and warm etc. all seemed fine. Then the following started happening...

Rev counter went all over the place

Car badly misfiring

Jerking forwards and backwards

Loosing all power and it coming back

Basically I had to keep pulling over as I simply couldn't maintain a speed. Every touch on the accelerator in any gear just cased the above. Car has at least 1/4 tank petrol. So I took a small side street and limped it home with it jerking/spluttering away at a slow speed in 2nd gear. The issue was by then intermittent. So I let the engine idle over a bit outside my house. Oil pressure on idle was on about 1/4 too. Blipped the throttle a bit and the pressure raised, but the rev counter went scitz again and the engine cut out. Car started immediately afterwards fine, and sat about 900prm idling away.

I decided to pop up the street and back down again (quiet one ended road so no traffic). The car went up fine, and started doing it coming back down. Looked under the bonnet and no apparant leaks.

So I've left the car now as I'm scared something major is wrong and don't wish to possibly cause further damage. Looked in my Haynes book and still baffled. Only things that come to mind are...

Fuel filter/pump

Injectors

Plugs

HT leads

Etc, etc. But I'm not mechanically minded and not sure what to do.

Any sugestions or similar experiences?

GLPoomobile

Well you can immediately say itzs an ignition fault as the rev counter is erratic, so look at leads, coil, or the classic duff ignition amp. Ssems like the sort of thing you get with faulty leads or amp. Not so sure about the coil, but then the tacho does take it's feed from there.

chocolate_o_brian
Well you can immediately say itzs an ignition fault as the rev counter is erratic, so look at leads, coil, or the classic duff ignition amp. Ssems like the sort of thing you get with faulty leads or amp. Not so sure about the coil, but then the tacho does take it's feed from there.

The ignition amp is the plastic looking gadget under the coil isn't it? The rubbery clip which attaches to the bottom I think isn't the best connection, but this has never happened. You think it's worth getting a second hand one (Bosch) off ebay or something, as I've heard they're expensive new. I'm not sure how to perform checks thats all. Not competant enough :(

But yeah, the revs were say at 1500 or so then would shoot up to about 2500-3000 then drop down to 0 then back to 1500 while the car was still moving but spluttering and jumping around. Really scarey in such a light car , was like hitting a wall and bouncing off every couple secs.

Edited by chocolate_o_brian

maturin23

As soon as I read that I thought the same as Steve - ignition fault. I had exactly the same symptoms and it was the connection to the igntion amp. I put a new plug on the lead and it's never happened again.

Batfink

did you see any bright lights or is there a gap in time you have no recollection off?

...they are here.... :(

chocolate_o_brian
did you see any bright lights or is there a gap in time you have no recollection off?

...they are here.... :(

Maybe ;) (I'm not allowed to say)

chocolate_o_brian
As soon as I read that I thought the same as Steve - ignition fault. I had exactly the same symptoms and it was the connection to the igntion amp. I put a new plug on the lead and it's never happened again.

I remember a few weeks ago me and the Mrs went food shopping. Car was fine going there and had been all day/week/month. When it came to going home the engine wouldn't ignite. Starter motor would turn (was new) but no spark. Unplugged the ignition amp plug and re-attached, car started first time. It's been loose for a while (maybe since I bought the car), but has never done this before. Its either not started at all, or I've just lost all power when driving (which is a damn site more pleasent than jerking about lol).

I assume the ignition amp is screwed on? I may unscrew it to have a looksy and try tape the plug to it a bit tighter.

Any thoughts on that? Spark plugs are newish (3-4 months maybe), not sure about HT leads.

hexhamstu

mine did exactly this, was intermitant i could drive it for a 5 mins it would be fine then it would do this then another 10 mins would be fine etc. changed the ign amp didnt solve it, changed to a bosch ign amp and that solved it! :(

philfingers

worth a quick look at the plug, it's tricky due to location but pull it off and make sure none of the contacts on the inside havent' been pushed further back in the plug. Then check the ign amp is bolted up nice and snug to the ally plate, then make sure the ally plate has an earth back to the battery I think is std, or at least maybe the gearbox

chocolate_o_brian

Well, it was bugging me so after I had a soak in the bath, I decided to go out and get my hands dirty :(

So... I unscrewed the dizzy cap, this was the view inside.

DSC00004.jpg

I dunno if this is good or bad, so someone will have to tell me.

I then checked the HT lead connections going into the dizzy cap, and the metal ends on the cap itself.

DSC00006.jpg

Some connections were white and blue a little, so I give them a scrub with a wire brush to clean them up.

The dizzy cap was dirty on the outside though.

DSC00007.jpg

I then checks the lead going from the coil into the dizzy cap (red lead out of the 5). This was oily inside so again, scrubed with a wire brush.

DSC00008.jpg

So, next I got to the ignition module and unscrewed it. It was on tight with 2 bolts. Pulled the plug off and saw that it has been loose all this time due to the clip popping loose. Car still worked like this so this isnt the issue.

This is the module I have...

DSC00010.jpg

Now there was a little moisture in there which I belive may have been down to driving through a great big puddle earlier. Great, I thought issue solved. Dry out, all is good.

DSC00009.jpg

So dried out the moisture with tissue from module and plug, popped clip back into place, all was a nice snug fit.

DSC00011.jpg

So after screwing everything back in including battery and induction kit I moved for access, I checked everything was connected and tried to start her up.

Bugger all. Starter motor trying, but seems theres no spark, or I assume so. Just trying to start but no ignition.

So I'm at a loose end now. Is it HT leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, ignition module, coil, coil lead.... I dunno ;):angry:

philfingers

well the 'Lucas' word isn't good ('Lucas - Prince Of Darkness' is an old saying!). There should be a seal in the ign amp plug to stop water getting in. Just because it's run ok with the dodgy clip you'd be better sorting that. But after you've had it in bits and cleaned it all up it should start. Oil and bit of dirt in dizzy is normal, but give it a good clean and dry off.

Check the thin wire from the dizzy to ign amp, it has a plug in the middle of that lead (it will be above the G box somewhere). I'd start by swapping the ignition amp. You're looking at dizzy and leads, there will give an intermittant 'miss' but sysmtoms you have are more likely to be ign amp I think.

Tom Fenton

Whip a plug out and then with its HT lead attached rest it on the cam cover, spin the engine on the starter and look for a spark, at least this way you know if you have one.

If you don't, then pull HT lead from middle of dizzy, pop a plug in the end of this, then rest on the cam cover. Spin engine over, check for spark. This will show you if there is a problem with dizzy cap or leads.

chocolate_o_brian

Tom/Phil, thanks for those suggestions. They will the next things I do. Luckily my mate Chris (Flix) is gonna pop round and have a looksy with me. He has a spare Ign. Module so casn test that. Think I'll get leads and dizzy too, as he has a Halfords Trade card :( Thank god for that!

C_W

If it's a complete ignition cut it will only be the lead from the cap to the distributor (it might even be earthing on the engine somewhere), could be a break in it that has now been disturbed so won't start. This fault plagued my car for a while.

I would just get a new rotor arm and cap (they are sometimes difficult to assess from looking IMO) as they're cheap. Try a spare HT lead from the cap to the distributor.

skeggyrik

I had a similar issue years ago that baffled me for ages, it was more of intermittent fault that was getting worse, usually once things had warmed up. It nearly left me standed on the way to brum form Norwich then just sorted it self out.

I changed everything to do with the ignition and it still did it every now and then, I even changed the crank sensor, after posts on here.

One night in the dark I had the bonnet open and noticed a spark, every time it sparked it played up.

I was getting a short from the loom on to the inlet manifold where it had rubbed. I would never have spotted it if it wasn't dark.

If all else fails might be worth having a look in the dark and wagging the loom about to show up and possible shorts?

Just a thought if all else fails.

A2TheA

i found that my ht leads werent 'clicked' in properly and started to melt the rubber insulation on the leads end. this caused these problems.

Aaron

chocolate_o_brian

French electrics eh? :blush:

Well I've got a healthy amount of thigns to check which is a positive at least. thanks for the input thus far, and keep it coming!

chocolate_o_brian

Well I have some good news at least.

Basically the issue was a combination of a fubared Ignition Module, and the plug that connects into it. One of the terminals had moved down and was not connecting where it needed to. Pushed it back in and tried with the spare Module, car started fine. Tried it with other Module - nothing.

So kindly Chris donated me the plug and wiring off his car (as hes going GTi-6) so I don't need to spend lots of ££. The only issue being, his plug is from a phase 1 and mine a phase 1.5, so the wiring connection at t'other end are different. this will require some soldering me thinks, which I'm onto a mate to help with who like engine electrics.

The HT leads had a spark, coils good, slight oil leak maybe in rotor arm, not sure yet. Chris also kindly donated the spare dizzy cap he had, as it has better terminals. So luckily all in all it's cost me nothing so far, and should be a few beer tokens to a mate for some soldering.

As for now, I have to hope this wire doesn't faff me about and shift a lot. Will drive the car when needed and no more until fixed.

Wanna say a big thanks to Chris, and all the guys who have given their time and advice on this, even Batfink :blush:

Hopefully this is the end of the issue and happy motoring can continue. :unsure:

Sign in to follow this