• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Flix

Gti6 Crank Pully

Flix

Bought a GTI6 crank pully off a guy on here.

I assembled the engine but it locks up after quarter turn.

On this link, in the 4th pic, the timing hole is at 12 O'clock and the keyway is at 9 O'clock.

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.ph...0662&page=1

On mine the keyway is at 3 O'clock. Am I right in presuming mine is wrong, and what is it from?

Thanks.

Anthony

GTi-6 crank pulleys are notorious for slipping, and for that reason I never ever use the timing hole on them - I just temporarily fit an 8v pulley (which doesn't slip) and time the engine up using that, and then refit the GTi-6 pulley afterwards.

Flix

So mine must have slipped 180 degrees.

Ordered a new one from Pug, really hope its right that mines slipped.

Can't think what else it can be though.

djinuk

so the 8v pulley will go straight on the gti6 engine , and have the timing hole in the correct place im guessin.. if so thats somthing i will bear in mind when doing my cam belt.

pj838
so the 8v pulley will go straight on the gti6 engine , and have the timing hole in the correct place im guessin.. if so thats somthing i will bear in mind when doing my cam belt.

If so sounds like a top tip, I'm keeping the pulley from my old engine then :wacko:

Miles

Yep the old 8v Pullies are great for this, Mind I can supply the Alloy version of this too which never had this issue, cheaper than the Pug one as well

Peetypug

what price are they miles?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of fitting one?

Hilgie
I assembled the engine but it locks up after quarter turn.

If it has locked up, you'd probably need some valves changed as they have very thin shafts and get bend really easy.

Ron_Jaegers
Yep the old 8v Pullies are great for this, Mind I can supply the Alloy version of this too which never had this issue, cheaper than the Pug one as well

Sorry to kick up this thread but I was wondering if the Alloy pulley you sell also fits a XU10J4 (S16) engine. The previous owner has solved the slipping problem by welding the pulley, so now it wobbles like mad!

Hilgie

Miles' pulley does fit the S16 engine as well. I have one in stock so you could have a look if unsure (quite close to Gemert :wub: )

Ron_Jaegers

@Hilgie, I am very interested in how you made it fit because Miles himself said it would not fit :D. So I'd be happy to take a look. Helmond indeed isn't that far!

Hilgie

I don't know what I have then... my pulley came from Miles and is fitted to my S16 bottomend. On a 1.9TD crank with an Mi16 timingbelt pulley.

Ron_Jaegers

You say you have one in stock, does that mean you have one which is not mounted. Maybe I can bring a crank and see if it fits or something like that. From the look of the picture it should fit. Otherwise I have to make one up with the old one as a template.

welshpug

it fits Hilgie's engine because Hilgie has used the S16 bottom sprocket, where the pulley bolts on with 4 M8 bolts. the bottom sprocket is half a tooth different to the woodruff key slot to the gti6/8v bottom pulley which is separate IIRC.

Edited by welshpug

Ron_Jaegers

So if I'm not mistaken it can be made to fit with the 4 M8 bolts like the old pulley was. But then it needs to be timed very carefully, probably with verniers on the cams, to not make my valves look like your avatar right?

Hilgie

S16 and Mi16 can share the same pulley etc...only GTi6 is different. So Miles' Mi16 pulley can fit the S16 (not GTi6!)

Sign in to follow this