• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Stud Conversion

wardy18

Hi all,

im looking to convert to studs for the Hillclimb 205 as i now have new Revolution Wheels to go on, the holes in the wheels for the bolts are quite a bit bigger than the stud itself and are flat faced so will i need nuts that have a slight sleeve that goes inside the wheel bolt hole to centre it more?!

Sorry that was a crap explanation but hopefully someone can help as i have no idea what size studs to get either!?

Thanx

Simon

large

I think you can get nuts with a sleeve. I think QEP do them.

Tom Fenton

Revolution wheels use a special sleeve nut, you need to get a set of these really, any decent wheel supplier will be able to help.

wardy18

sound, thanx for the replies, I only want the studs that screw in with a bit of locktight into the original bolt holes, I can't afford for the wheels to be spaced out anymore as they are 9" wide :wacko:)

Demon tweeks do the sleeved nuts, just supply them with the right measurements, suppose its simple enough as anyone I speak to will know the thread size for peugeot and match some correctly sized sleeved nuts to them, ill call Matt at QEP and also Demon Tweeks

philfingers

only thing I would say is get the proper rolled thread studs off someone like AB Motorsport. The cheap kits on ebay are just that, cheap and nasty. Especially if you're running the kind of cornering force 9" rims with decent tyres can produce

EdCherry

Miles supplied me with my stud and nut set. Not sure if he could do the nuts but im sure he can do you the studs. They are 12x1.25 thread IIRC.

wardy18

demon Tweeks have studs at £2 each, does this sound like the cheap ones?! Ill ask if they rolled thread studs, hopefully they'll know what that means!

I've gotta order new overalls anyway thanx to the regs changing so might aswel get it all from them

What's measurements are the 12 x 1.25?

Rom

12 is the thread size, so M12 here. 1.25 is the thread pitch, the spacing of the threads.

Demon Tweeks can be quite exspensive for some stuff. This is something ill be looking to do in the next few months.

If Miles does them, speak to him.

jplautomotive

ebay 230273703890 , i no its an ended item but they look good and its AB

current one lol 250355878257

jonny

Edited by jplautomotive

philfingers

ball park figure of a good set is £100 with nuts. There are some cheap sets around for £25 (inc nuts) but I wouldn't. I'm sure Miles's ones will be fine, also people like west mids motorsport and the challenge suppliers.

I bought some rally design ones years ago and they weren't much good, but they could have changed

I have the AB ones and they are definately good quality. I could imagine dropping them in the mud and grit and putting them back on without the worry that they will damage threads etc. You don't want you're wheels coming off, or crossthreading them in the dark. The genuine ones on my Integrale are made of plasticine in comparison!

Edited by philfingers

Rom

How have the nuts finish stood up ? I saw some for sale in the sale section a while back, and all the nuts were nasty and rusted :blush:

Not a major issue for race cars, but not great for normal cars.

Tom Fenton
12 is the thread size, so M12 here. 1.25 is the thread pitch, the spacing of the threads.

To be pedantic, "M12" on its own refers to the coarse (standard) pitch of a 12mm thread, so "M12" is meaning 12x1.75

Correct nomenclature for any other pitch is simply "12x1.25" without the "M" for example.

Tom Fenton
I bought some rally design ones years ago and they weren't much good, but they could have changed

They're still no good, my mate bought some for our track car recently, they were fitted for one day then came off again to be sent back to Rally Design as they were soft as sh1te.

philfingers
How have the nuts finish stood up ? I saw some for sale in the sale section a while back, and all the nuts were nasty and rusted :blush:

Not a major issue for race cars, but not great for normal cars.

mine are not red rusty but certainly discoloured. I would say they're about 4 years old. Yes you're right tho, not great in that respect. You could have them chromed. You can't lock them either of course! Then again I would leave mine anywhere that it's likely to get the wheels nicked!

wardy18

ill get all the measurements and go to demon tweeks and see what price they can do, ill also emails AB Motorsport and Sandy to see what they can do

large

I have a set from DT some of them have gone rusty sum have discoloured but all still work fine.

pug_ham
ball park figure of a good set is £100 with nuts. There are some cheap sets around for £25 (inc nuts) but I wouldn't. I'm sure Miles's ones will be fine, also people like west mids motorsport and the challenge suppliers.

AFAIK Miles sells the same ones that I've supplied in all the group buys I've done for the studs conversion kits made by Graystoneengineering.com & I've never heard back from anyone having any problems yet.

Jackherer did mention problems once but iirc it was because it had gone into the hub cross threaded.

They're still no good, my mate bought some for our track car recently, they were fitted for one day then came off again to be sent back to Rally Design as they were soft as sh1te.

Again AFAIK Rally Design (& Demon Tweeks) sell the same studs & nuts as I've used for the last three years + & have sold through several group buys on here from Graystone.

Graham.

wardy18
AFAIK Miles sells the same ones that I've supplied in all the group buys I've done for the studs conversion kits made by Graystoneengineering.com & I've never heard back from anyone having any problems yet.

Jackherer did mention problems once but iirc it was because it had gone into the hub cross threaded.

Again AFAIK Rally Design (& Demon Tweeks) sell the same studs & nuts as I've used for the last three years + & have sold through several group buys on here from Graystone.

Graham.

I have just been on the Grayston website (thanx for puttin that on Graham) see the link below:

http://www.graystonengineering.com/wheelnutmenu.htm

Scroll down to Sleeve Nuts, they do Revolution Sleeve nuts which i assume is for the Revolution wheels but which ones do i need cause those figure dont really make much sense to me?!?! The shank i need is 11/16" as i have just measured them but that narrows it down to 3?!

Thanx guys

Simon

Edited by wardy18

wardy18

Ok i think i have it, the studs i need are part no SS25 or 26 (depending on length i go for) as they are 1.25 to 1.5 and the Revolution nuts i need are part no SN30

what u think?!

Edited by wardy18

Rom
To be pedantic, "M12" on its own refers to the coarse (standard) pitch of a 12mm thread, so "M12" is meaning 12x1.75

Correct nomenclature for any other pitch is simply "12x1.25" without the "M" for example.

Theres my something learnt for the day :)

You can't lock them either of course! Then again I would leave mine anywhere that it's likely to get the wheels nicked!

Maybe not for Revo wheels if they use special nuts. But for normal tapers or flats....is there not another car that we could use lockers from ?

wardy18

ok I got a price today from demon Tweeks, 86 quid delivered (ex vat) for a set of sleeve M12 x 1.5mm nuts to my sleeve spec 11/16" x 30mm shank and a set of studs M12 x 1.25 to 1.5

Pretty good price I think, was expectin like 120 quid ish so happy days

wardy18

I need to buy a Impact Driver drill for fitting and removing my new studs, would a cheap make 14.4v one get them tight enough or do you need to check the torque once done up with the drill?

EdCherry

First off all, once the studs are in they should stay in, so therefore I hope you mean to put on your new nuts. No you do not need an impact driver (a.k.a rattle gun) to do them up, you can quite easily do it with a deep socket and ratchet, although it will be slower. You should always torque up your wheel nuts.

wardy18

sorry yeh I meant nuts, studs will be in with locktight

Its purely to save time when I get to an event and have to spend ages havin change the tyres over and again if it rains an again at the end of the day