• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ajr

Bumper Trim Removal Confirmation

Ajr

I appologise for bringing up this subject that has no doubt been covered before.

Unfortunately my 205 doesn't live with me so i can't go and look at it, and i'm off to the scrap yard to get some bumpers for it at the weekend.

First things first, mine's a ph1 or 1.5(E reg, ph1 rear lights, updated dash though by looks of it) Are all GTi bumper trims universal? The car at crawley scrappers is a K reg so very new in comparison.

Now i am awaiting my mate to sort the haynes manual, but from what i've gathered:

Front bumper held on by two bolts, one on each side under the arch where the wing bolts to a bracket sticking out of the chassis leg, same as a peugeot 106? There is a captive nut or a thread in the bumper which rusts and seizes, the trim strip needs to be removed to get to the back to drill it out. How does one remove the front bumper trim strip?

The rear bumper is held on by some 13mm nuts inside the boot and a few more under the arches same as the front?

I don't want or need to remove valances.

Is there anything i'm missing? And can i fit the k reg bumpers?

Many thanks for any help, i did use the search function but didn't find any really conclusive answers.

Alex

welshpug

the P2 trim is identical bar the colour, its a very dark anthracite near black rather than grey.

same as the front, there are 13mm nuts in the wheelarches as well as the 2 13's in the boot, also there is a screw vertically in the bumper above the number plate, usually rounds off as its so rusty.

If the large posi screw is rounded/rusty, remove the number plate and you can access the 2 13mm nuts that secure the bracket to the body via 2 holes.

Edited by welshpug

Ajr

Ah, that explains why my front and rear bumpers are practically white now they've faded then!

Will be painting it all when i respray the car anyway so it's all good.

As for removing it, am i heading in the right direction?