• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
si-mi16

Wont Start

si-mi16

hi all, my 205 mi16 wont start!

fuel pump ok, fuel going where it should be as can smell fuel in carbs, have spark to all plugs.

my two concerns are

1-one of the leads(No 3) doesn't seem to be clicking onto the plug as tightly as the rest.

2- the exhaust system is not connected to the manifold as of yet, would this effect the engine firing up, i.e does the engine need a certain amount of back pressure from the exhaust system to work?

thanks for reading guys,will be connecting the exhaust up the weekend if that helps,also its running 8v loom with dizzy adaptor,would advancing/retarding the ignition timing effect the starting if so should i start fully advanced and turn back or fully retarded and turn forwad bit by bit??

sorry for all the question :o thanks for reading again

Goliath

If you can smell fuel in the carbs then it might be flooded, i know it sounds simple but i have gone to fix peoples cars before, after they have spent 3 days trying to start it, and all i have done to get it going is take the injector connectors off and crank it over for a good 2 minutes at least (will probably need jump leads hooking up) and then it will fire up when the injector plugs are put back on.

Give it a go.

si-mi16

i have got injectors, the fueling its controlled by the fuel pressure regulator( im guessing?) fuel line runs from pump to regulator then from there to underside of the carbs? how would i disconnect fuel line without fuel going everywhere,could i just disconnect the wiring for the fuel pump? or am i missing something here :o

thnaks for the quick reply by the way much appreciated

large

Have you got spark? If yes the only other thing I can think of is as said air fuel mix. As to stoping the pump I cant see why you cant unplug it. Yes it should run with no exhaust.

si-mi16

so im thinking its flooded, im going to disconnect the fuel pump wiring the weekend and turn it over, am i right in saying this will burn the excess fuel?

then i will connect fuel pump wiring and try fire it up,i have had it started with the exhaust off but took a while to start,so was wondering weather it needs the back pressure to help :wacko:

can someone point me in the right direction if im going offf track in what im saying :D

thanks for the replies guys

Sign in to follow this