• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest huddsta

Rev Counter

Guest huddsta

seen as i dont hav a GTi pr GTi dial for that matter, would i be able to fit TIM or Splitfire type rev meters?

jacobs53

yes u will be able to fit one, the rpm is measured from the coil, so just whack it in

It is wired

+ coil

+ battery

- earth

and one light attachment

I have a tim one if you want to buy it, its a 80mm pod type cost me £80

il take £40 ono, as i only use it for setting up the engine from the engine bay.

lee

Guest huddsta

i know im gona seem like a total novice, which i guess i am, but what exactly do you mean by coil?

other that that i guess it should be pretty easy.

Edited by huddsta

Guest blueice

See here

Should help ;)

However I'm running my gti rev counter from the coil and it causes the engine to misfire and do strange things :P

Edited by blueice

Guest huddsta

Blueice is increasingly becoming my new best firend lol, thanks for the link. Any idea what causes the problem? Im gona use an aftermarket rev counter rather than a GTi dash if I do it.

I dont surpose uve got a pic?

jacobs53

a rev counter won't cause your car to misfire, but dodgy wiring will! Are you sure you have connected the coil wire to the correct place?

as on my old tim one it went to the positive terminal on the coil not the negative.

Guest huddsta

what kinda price am i gona be looking at for something like a TIM meter?

Guest blueice
a rev counter won't cause your car to misfire, but dodgy wiring will! Are you sure you have connected the coil wire to the correct place?

as on my old tim one it went to the positive terminal on the coil not the negative.

I'll have to check that out, thanks for the advice :P

Doof

I've got a 52 mm one you can have for 15 quid, its in perfect working order as far as i know. Might be a bit small though.

Guest Neosophist

You need the -ve side of the the coil, this is the feed for the rev counter, it's wire no 112, it's labeld each end (coil) and where it goes to the car, you'll probably find it's in one of the two snap togeather plugs that are mounted to the body near the fusebox inside the car.

Thats your rev counter feed, the +ve and -ve for the counter can come from the fusebox.

If you decide to go for the GTi dash, there easier to wire than most people think, I've stuck a guide somewhere but basically if you get a dash, get the wiring loom with it, follow it back past the 3 switches (fogs, flasher, rear heater) and unconnect them from the fusebox, don't cut em and swap it with yours, the tacho will work straight off in 90% of cars, as for the other things depends if you have sensors fitted to the engine.

Anycase, if you get stuck just drop us a msg.

Finally as for misfiring sounds like your earthing the coil somewhere, which if it's perm earthed it woulnd't start so sounds like its intermittent, perhaps the wires got stripped where it's been pushed through the bulkhead, thats a common thing thats taken me hours to find :P

Regs,

Martin

Sign in to follow this