• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kyepan

Turns Over Fine But Won't Start For 10 Seconds

kyepan

Hi there,

Just encountered a new issue, car usually turns over twice and springs to life, it's always been 100% reliable, no throttle needed.

Over the past day and a half it's been turning over for longer, the ammount of time turning over is proportional to the ammount of time sitting with the engine off. leave for 2 mins, takes 3 turns, leave for 10 mins and it takes about 7 turns, leave for 30 mins or longer and it takes 15-20 turns, then splutters into life. Also think its running a bit lean at the top end as it sounds hoarse.

Also it's not spluttering or trying to start, there is not a hint of firing, just compression and starter noise, until it's ready and then brum... off it goes.

The pump is priming, and running when the car is running, but can't hear the pump whine over the starter.

Should I be checking the hoses at the fuel rail to see if there is anything in them, or flow from them? how much should come out.

there are no obvious leaks,or smell of fuel at the pump end or under the car, it's got 2/3rds of a tank in it...

My hunch is it's not been getting fuel for the first few seconds (see my gauge post in interior section) we fiddled with the pipes where they come down from the tank and cable tied them, we may have either pinched something or messed up something. Or the fuel is draining back out of the rail, which would indicate... i don't know how would it do that without a leak? is there a non return valve i need to check.

any help appreciated as usual.

a slightly frustrated justin.

TRYNKEEPUP

only a suggestion when was fuel filter last changed ?

kyepan
only a suggestion when was fuel filter last changed ?

about a year ago, the thought occurred to me too, could have been a bad batch of petrol, or the bottom of the tank....

J

GLPoomobile

YOu basically said everything in your first post that I was thinking as I read the problem. Not that I'm an expert (far from it! :rolleyes: ) but at least it shows that great minds think alike :) . But yes, to my amateur mind it does sound like it not got enough fuel pressure for the first few cranks, so perhaps it's not keeping pressure with the engine off and the fuel is running back down the supply line. Or perhaps you have a dying fuel pump. But the first thing you want to do is make sure you haven't created the problem with the work you did recently.

Anthony

Hard-wire the fuel pump relay so the pump is running and there's definately fuel at the rail. Then see if it starts first turn of the key.

kyepan
Hard-wire the fuel pump relay so the pump is running and there's definately fuel at the rail. Then see if it starts first turn of the key.

bridge the relay? or live from the battery positive to the fuel pump positive?

KRISKARRERA

When my engine did this it turned out to be leaking injectors.

DamirGTI

I've had very similar symptom once :rolleyes: after long searching/checking/measuring/adjusting/changing various bits and bobs i finally fixed this "never ending cranking" with one of my spare ignition amps :) .. the spark was too weak , ignition system must provide strong/warm spark for starting/igniting the air-fuel mixture , especially on the first starting in the morning when the engine is stone cold ..

But do check if you have both good strong spark and fuel delivery while cranking (check the spark preferably at night , it must be nice “fat” blue spark on all the plugs and on the coil HT lead as well ..)

Damir :D

Anthony
bridge the relay? or live from the battery positive to the fuel pump positive?

Just bridge the relay so the fuel pump is running continuously (for testing only you understand, not to leave like that!)

leon 1.9

Make sure you use thick enough gauge wire too (rather than nearly setting the whole engine bay on fire, like I did with a Clio I had a few years ago! :) )

kyepan

thanks for all the replies..

but hold onto your hats boys and girls... the problem has disappeared, and the fuel gauge has sprung to life too....

cause unknown - probably voodoo.

kyepan
thanks for all the replies..

but hold onto your hats boys and girls... the problem has disappeared, and the fuel gauge has sprung to life too....

cause unknown - probably voodoo.

hold on to your tug pipes.... its back and has evolved, like the crystalis hiding the butterfly.

Now it will take 10 sec's to start regardless of how long you've left it, and also the engine ran on after turning off the ignition for a few strokes. i'll start with bridging the fuel relay and see how i get on, if that does not fix it, i'll look at the ignition amp.

ps the fuel gauge is working, and either i've used 3/4 of a tank in 90 miles of motorway driving, or it's reading wrong, or i've got a leak and have lost the ability to sniff petrol

Edited by kyepan

Sign in to follow this