• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ajr

Anyone Ever Fitted A Visa Rear Subframe?

Ajr

I had a quick search, was wondering if anyone had done it yet?

Does the subframe/beam bolt straight on? What are the main differences? Does the visa GTi have discs on the back? How wide is it compared to a 205 1.9 beam etc?

Do the trailing arms still run on bearings or bushes? How are they held on without the torsion bars?

Baz

One for Darren (VisaGTi16v) i'd presume, neither dad nor i can remember much about them!

Ajr

My old man's got one in his lot still i think, unless he scrapped it, but it's a rust bucket. If it's still there i'm tempted to rip the beam off it and see what it's all about :lol:

Hopefully Darren will be along shortly to enlighten us :D

I just like the idea of springs on the back! And if the trailing arms are just fitted on bushes then even better! I can't seem to find any uprated rear dampers which could prove a problem.

the springs could mount into the shell rather than the subframe, meaning it'd need the boot floor and arches off a visa, there could be a lot of problems lol

Sandy

Getting the rear turreted for coilovers is a more sensible and practical solution really.

VisaGTi16v

Sandy probably knows more than me heh, would be quite a job to fit on I expect and a Colin Satchell type turret conversion to an existing 205 setup would probably be far simpler.

But to answer some points. The Visa GTi is only drums at the back and the stub axles are differnt to 205 ones and too short for 205 calipers etc but you dont need discs on the back. Don't know the width but the rear track is about 3-4" narrower than the front with its standard 1.6 setup to the point where it looks silly but it handles great. Widening the back of 205's like most people do is at best a bodge, its the poor short travel rear suspension of the 205 that is the issue, not the width. There havent been any decent dampers for years since Koni stopped making them. Im sure it would be quite a simple job for someone like Gaz though as they look very similar to mk2 Golf ones. At the end of the day its a long strut with a horizontal hole at the bottom and a threaded rod at the top so must be something in their catalogue of suitable dimensions then you just need a top mount fabricating.

I have a photo somewhere of the underneath let me go look..........

Photo if this works! You can see the rear ARB bolted onto the trailing arms and it bends up over the exhaust, fuel pump and filter up top left as the tanks under the boot floor. Trailing arms are seperate, no beam.

Edited by VisaGTi16v

Ajr

Tha looks like a much better setup! If only it was going to be easier to fit it!

Thanks for the info :(

Picking up a 309 beam next week!