• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
si-mi16

Knocking Noise

si-mi16

hi all,as you maybe aware im a new member :lol:

have just reuilt the top end of my mi16 engine, only replaced like for like standard parts to get her back on the road!

problem is that when i started her up(fired up first time : ) there was a knocking well more like a clunking noise every probally 3 seconds. sounds like when you drop something big and heavy in water the clunk it makes.

Although the car runs i didnt like the sound so after a couple of minutes killed the engine and havent had time since to have a look at what it could be.

For some reason i think i could have the ht leads in wrong order(wrong firing order), could the engine stil run if firing order wrong if so could this be the noise of incorrectly timed spark??

Maybe be well off but thats why i ask you guys for help? what is the firing order of the mi16?

Any help would be a great help

MrG

so what exactly did you do? Could it be that a clearance isn't correct or a nut is loose so something inside is striking it every few turns?

I doubt it's caused by the leads being on the wrong way as the engine wouldn't run correctly if the leads were on the incorrect plugs.

Is anything catching on any of the pulleys etc outside the engine and making the knock?

Others will be along soon I'm sure. Welcome to the forum BTW.

si-mi16

firstly thanks for the reply MrG, doesnt seem like its a knocking more of a clunking :) , defantly sounds as though it could be the pressure of the manifold. sounds like its blowing the gases out as it should but because the exhaust isn't connected to the manifold making the noise LOUD! :)

i put the firing order as 1-3-4-2 today was ticking over but did not fire up,(maybe cold day, maybe because it hasn't been started in months)

think im going to have to connect the exhaust,which is a pain to get to the down pipe and see if the noise goes.

have i got the firing order right does any body know?

so what exactly did you do? Could it be that a clearance isn't correct or a nut is loose so something inside is striking it every few turns?

I doubt it's caused by the leads being on the wrong way as the engine wouldn't run correctly if the leads were on the incorrect plugs.

Is anything catching on any of the pulleys etc outside the engine and making the knock?

Others will be along soon I'm sure. Welcome to the forum BTW.

JeffR

Firing order is, as stated 1-3-4-2, 1 is at the flywheel end.

Sorry, can't help with a diagnosis 'tho other than check cam timing & maybe it's worth removing the cam cover & turning it over by hand to feel for anything tight or catching.

SeanO'Connor

See how it sounds with a sealed exhaust, They make all manner of strange noises with no manifold and downpipe connected. Usually like a plop plop plop noise!

si-mi16

plop plop,now why didnt i think of saying that

:blush:

it is more of a plop plop, will try connecting the exhaust the weekend, going to be a ball ache as its an awkard postion to be in for such a long time :unsure:

[

philfingers

if it's every few seconds it's not not something hitting every rotation. When the wheels are off the ground even if it's in neutral the shafts and brakes etc will go around, so long as there's not too mcuh drag. Nothing there is there?

With regard to manifold, once you offer the d/p upto the manifold hold it in place with some mole grips (from gear box side) and do the servo side first, then you can do the gearbox one will mole grips removed. I did mine last week in 15 mins or so (Mi 205). Oh and make sure all the threads on the bolts are nice and clean! Halfords ratchet rings are ideal for this job

si-mi16

15 minutes! thats good going im going out to my car now to connect the downpipe and try fire her up.fingers cross

Sign in to follow this