• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tesstuff

Rear Beam Creakiness

Tesstuff

;)

I love this cold wet weather, it makes my rear beam sound like a scary movie scene when they open the old door and it creaks , when i get out of it :D

And frozen condensation on the inside of the rear 3/4 windows last week, it's all good owning a 205 in winter :o

large

A creaking beam is normaly an indication that it is on its last legs ;) .

Tesstuff

;) nah, who told you that ?

i bought it in May 2007 like this, creaky beam in wet weather, and its still exactly the same now :o

large

All the beams I have had go creaking is the first indication and its one of the things you look out for when buying a 205 or any other Peugeot.

andychalmers

I aggree if its creaking its on its way out. At a guess the real seals have failed & let water in on the beam bearings. If you dont sort soon it could seize up plus completely knacker your beam.

philfingers

totally agree. Get it apart and hopefully all you'll need is a rebuild kit. If it goes too far then the you'll be looking at a couple of hundred, + fitting the labour for the bits you can't do yourself.

Tesstuff

Ok i believe you all, but can you explain why it has been the same for 2 years, and the creaking sound disappears when the warm weather returns.

I have no camber, it performs fine as a beam and if i sit in the boot and bounce it up and down i hear no creaking.

Its just in wet weather and this time of year when i get out i hear it creak as it rises up.

I have no problem sorting it if the consensus is that its the right time to do it :)

Cloverleaf

When it creaks, is the hand brake on?

macamizer

hot and cold weather things expand when they warm up,justb a thought

Tesstuff
When it creaks, is the hand brake on?

The handbrake has always been on when it creaked yes, so i just went out and tried it without it on and it still creaked :ph34r:

hot and cold weather things expand when they warm up,justb a thought

Yes i always told myself that was the reason, but after a bit of a check over this morning i think i will get my beam refurbed now.

:)

macamizer

have you had a price for a refurb?bet its not cheap,might be better to post in wanted, see what people got second hand in good condition

pug_ham
I have no camber, it performs fine as a beam and if i sit in the boot and bounce it up and down i hear no creaking.

Neither had NathanlGD but look at the state of his beam when I stripped it for a rebuild;

DSCF1222.th.jpg

DSCF1221.th.jpg

Graham.

Tesstuff
Neither had NathanlGD but look at the state of his beam when I stripped it for a rebuild;

DSCF1222.th.jpg

DSCF1221.th.jpg

Graham.

Graham, i would prefer you not to appear like the Grim Reaper on the horizon , thankyou :ph34r::):(

pug_ham
Graham, i would prefer you not to appear like the Grim Reaper on the horizon , thankyou :ph34r::):(

:lol:

I'm not wishing appearing as the Grim Reaper but stating from experience in an effort to save you some money in the long run.

Graham.