• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M3Evo

Selecting Materials

M3Evo

Does anybody have any suggestions for what to make a cam follower from?

I'm thinking some kind of hardenable iron which could be machined and then hardened, but that's about as far as my thought process has gone B)

Any suggestions appreciated :lol:

Cheers!

Kind regards,

Alex

Cameron

I'm assuming you mean a bucket type follower?

I'm no metallurgist, but I'd hazard a guess that the standard ones are medium or high carbon steel, with the top face ground and hardened.

How are you planning on making them? That could well aid you in choosing your material.

Rippthrough

A hardened high stength ductile iron like would be superb but I suspect you'd have problems sourcing it without buying a full length blank.

I've used EN24T, hardened to to ~400HB on a jag E-type before, which has been going on them for 10 years now, probably find you have to have it surface ground after hardening and tempering though.

M3Evo

These would be pads which are attached to an alloy rocker arm (another problem which needs addressing) Making will be by milling and grinding.

EN24T eh, did you have to carry out any processes other than grinding once it had been hardened? :D

I'm guessing it's not especially free cutting is it?

Not a huge problem either way, just dictates whether or not I machine the follower pads myself or get someone else to do them :rolleyes:

Many thanks for your help guys, much apprecialted :)

Flix

EN24T is a high grade steel, we use it occasionally at work, probably the best we use.

Cuts easily with a Tungsten Carbide tool. But don't get it hot.

M3Evo

I've been speaking to my CNC machine shop owning mate about this today.

He reckons he can machine EN24T easy peasy poo, and can send the bits out for plasma nitriding.

His question was what depth of hardening do I need....and I've no idea :rolleyes:

Guess it makes sense to have him make the rocker arms and bushings too really doesn't it :)