• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kennyb

Diagnosis Of A Fuel Pump

Kennyb

Hi guys

When fuel pumps go what happens?

kyepan
Hi guys

When fuel pumps go what happens?

my mate had to hit his to get it to start, other than that not sure

Super Josh

I had some running problems when I used to have a tuned 8V, that turned out to be caused by low fuel pressure. Decent S/H pump sorted it.

Josh

Kennyb

I have running problems under accelaration when cold....misfires like fook....but after a few miles its ok (just started after 4 years of not a problem)

I also have problems starting from cold at times......turns over and dosent start just splutters until i catch a splutter and punch the pedal. it will also die if I drop the throttle for a bit (misfiring during this throttle)

Could fuel pump cause this?

Edited by Kennyb

Super Josh

When mine was causing grief, we connected a pressure gauge to the fuel line and it was getting up to pressure.

Josh

Kennyb

How do you connect the fuel pressure guage to the fse boost valves because i'd like to check the pressure after/ through this?

CHeers

philfingers

could well be your FSE valve. Had one on my old 8v, it was a pig to start. I had a theory it was over fueling, so I fitted a std one and it was much better.

I may be proved wrong but the general thinking is that these aren't worth bothering with

Phil

jackherer
I have running problems under accelaration when cold....misfires like fook....but after a few miles its ok (just started after 4 years of not a problem)

I also have problems starting from cold at times......turns over and dosent start just splutters until i catch a splutter and punch the pedal. it will also die if I drop the throttle for a bit (misfiring during this throttle)

Could fuel pump cause this?

That doesn't sound like a fuel pump problem to me. I just fixed a bad earth to a fuel pump on a 205, that car would start and idle reasonably well but when you gave it some throttle it would chug and splutter and struggle to rev up, whereas yours sounds like it goes better when you give it more air (throttle) so its unlikely its running lean due to low fuel pressure IMO.

jackherer
could well be your FSE valve. Had one on my old 8v, it was a pig to start. I had a theory it was over fueling, so I fitted a std one and it was much better.

I may be proved wrong but the general thinking is that these aren't worth bothering with

Phil

I agree that this sounds more like overfueling than underfueling.

Kennyb

Valves been on for a long time and was set at standard 40 psi last time I knew, not been touched since then so it wont be that causing the problem.....I know they are pointless....just wanting to check the system to make sure im getting pressure in fuel lines from pump

Cheers

Kennyb

Fuel pressure testers......how do you fit them then to check the psi?

there is a top hose from fuel filter and bottom return I guess??? Which hose do I fit the guage too and where then?

Cheers Guys

Kartman205
Fuel pressure testers......how do you fit them then to check the psi?

there is a top hose from fuel filter and bottom return I guess??? Which hose do I fit the guage too and where then?

Cheers Guys

Fit the gauge between supply from the fuel filter to the fuel rail.

The FSE regulator is very sensitive to adjustment a quarter turn either way makes a big difference in line pressure.

Why do you guys say the FSE is a waste of time? It isn`t an instant power mod as some people seem to think, its a means of adjusting the fuel line pressure thats all.

Also use the vacuum pipe as you would the standard regulator, I`ve seen these disconnected, its there for a purpose.

Ethos
That doesn't sound like a fuel pump problem to me. I just fixed a bad earth to a fuel pump on a 205, that car would start and idle reasonably well but when you gave it some throttle it would chug and splutter and struggle to rev up, whereas yours sounds like it goes better when you give it more air (throttle) so its unlikely its running lean due to low fuel pressure IMO.

Interesting Jackherer, this sounds like my issue...

What earth did you fix? I've seen the 4 pin behind the rear passenger light but I assume there is another?

large
Why do you guys say the FSE is a waste of time? It isn`t an instant power mod as some people seem to think, its a means of adjusting the fuel line pressure thats all.

Because thats how it is advertised! You can get a small increase but its not alot.

And if you don’t set them up properly you can get bore wash.

Paul_13

I had the same problem, pump was knackered!

It was a b!tch to start when warm, would start straight off when cold!

Try hitting the pump or giving the wires a jiggle!

ALEX

I bought one off ebay and it would start and tick over fine, but would kangaroo like f**k if I put my foot down.

Looks like it couldn't produce enough pressure.

Sign in to follow this