• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kyepan

Fuel Gauge

kyepan

Hi there,

I've always had a bit of a part time gauge, it generally gets to 1/4 of a tank then drops to the bottom. the empty warning light is however always reliable. Now however it's gone away completely, including the warning light.

Under the back seat I can see the connector block under the small black cover, and that seems ok / a bit loose... the gauge itself never seemed to respond to any thumbs on the top of the dash, so i have a feeling its related to the wiring at the other end.

Also Baz and I were fiddling with the fuel hoses under the car where they meet the flexi's going up to the pump... methinks something has broken or been moved in our efforts, it would make sense, fiddle with fuel hoses,

What and where do I need to probe at the tank end and how to find out if i have continuity with the gauge?

Where does the wire run from the tank so i can check it for frays and breaks?

refill every 150 miles from now on then

any help appreciated.

J

philfingers

sender works at between 0 and 300ohms. The connector under the small black cover has earth (green and yellow, easy to spot), one to gauge (needle) and one to gauge light. with ign on, doesn't need to be running, short one wire to earth and see a result, then afterwards do the other wire. One should light the red low level light, the other should give FSD (full scale deflection), ie a full tank (at 0ohms). If you're gettinghs problems then it's likely wiring and if not then it's possibly the sender

kyepan
sender works at between 0 and 300ohms. The connector under the small black cover has earth (green and yellow, easy to spot), one to gauge (needle) and one to gauge light. with ign on, doesn't need to be running, short one wire to earth and see a result, then afterwards do the other wire. One should light the red low level light, the other should give FSD (full scale deflection), ie a full tank (at 0ohms). If you're gettinghs problems then it's likely wiring and if not then it's possibly the sender

great answer, think i can follow that ok.

cheers

J

Paul_13

Hi Justin,

I've got the problem on mine of dodgy wiring, if you move the cable slightly side to side it cuts in and out.

Am i going to get to see this MI of yours? <_<

O yea did the fuel pump work alright i sold you?

Paul