• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave_McC

Mi16 - How Does The Oil Filler Housing Attach To The Inlet Manifold

Dave_McC

I'm trying to work out how the oil filler housing mounts to the inlet manifold - I bought the engine with all the ancillaries separate so have nothing showing how it should attach.

From photos I've seen it looks like the side exit pipe in the filler housing faces the engine, and the front mounting bracket sits above the manifold - but with it like this there don't seem to be any mounting points which line up. There is a small bracket underneath the manifold on the offside of where the filler housing fits - but not sure what this is for.

If anyone's got any pics or can describe it that would be great.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Dave_McC

trialster

is it possible that you had the incorrect filler housing supplied?

welshpug

1.9 or 2.0?

GLPoomobile

On mine (1.9 Mi) it's not attached to anything. The top of the housing has a lip to it, and it sits inside of the circular cut out between the 2 middle runners of the manifold. When in place, there is some play to it, but essentially it's going no where. So I don't think it was ever supposed to be bolted in place. Like on the 8v, the housing has an attachment point since it's used on other engines too, but that attachment point is not used on the Mi.

philfingers

I've just searched, I saw a picture when I was searching for somethign else which was up and under the manifold, but can't see it now. It should have a little U shaped thing that faces forwards just above the manifold and isn't used on the Mi

GLPoomobile

EDIT: double posted like atwat! :)

Edited by GLPoomobile

Rom

Ill be tight and use the same pic i posted in your thread Phil :)

post-7946-1231702301_thumb.jpg

Thats where it sits. When i first done mine it never attached to anything either. I took the enging out a while ago, and made a bracket. But being me, i have no pics of it :)

It just bolts to one of the random bolt holes under the manifold, that dont line up with anything else. Then its bolted to the bottom of the filler. Will make sense when your looking at it...honest :)

I just didnt like mine being loose, the cap gets quite tight. Now i dotn have to hold the filler while trying to get the cap off. As its nice and secure.

philfingers

NEAT!

Dave_McC

It's a 1.9.

Thanks for all the replies. I believe all the filler housings are the same - certainly the one that came with the Mi, the one off my 1.6Gti and an Mi one I bought off ebay are all identical.

I'll probably just slot it in place and leave it not bolted to anything then - it's not really going to go anywhere as it's effectively held by the pipe from the bottom to the sump.

Cheers

Dave

Sign in to follow this