• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ajr

Best Way To Repair Rust, Lower Rear 3/4 Panel

Ajr

Hi all, i've had a good search and couldn't really find any info of use.

My 205 has some rust in front of the rear wheels on the lower panel and sill. It's only light although a tiny bit of it goes right through. It's on both sides.

The lip on the actual arch has rusted away in some points, so i'm guessing i'd have to make a new lip also.

My plan of action:

Strip both panels back to metal, repair any holes(depending on size) with either filler or weld a plate/fiberglass behind and fill.

Rub panels down to a good even finish

Prime and spray professionally.

Clean, paint and underseal under arches

How have you gone about repairing this area?

There's a bit in the engine bay that i am yet to fully explore to see how much metal is shot but i'm guessing that'll be a weld job.

One side of the rear panel:

_DSC4284QQ.jpg

Engine bay:

_DSC4287QQ.jpg

toddydal

im doing one now,i just cut the complete bottom of the 1/4 away and welded a new section in,thats the only way to do it if you want it to last make sure you spray all the bare metal with weld through primer before you weld the new steel in and then fill the repair,etch prime then high build primer then colour

Rom

theres a thread on this page where toddydal has done similar repairs. Got pics etc

Im no expert, but i do know you should be looking at repairing with metal, not filler. You will want to weld in new metal.

welshpug

have a look for a thread by Tom Fenton, he covers both area's :D

Ajr

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...052&hl=rust

and

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...788&hl=rust

are quite useful :D

Of course i'd only use filler on it's own if it was a tiny hole, which really doesn't warrant cutting and welding. I get the feeling that the sill is definitely going to need welding though!

Cheers for pointing me in the right direction!

Edited by Ajr

toddydal

even the smallest rust hole will come back,i allways say there are 2 ways to get rid of rust and thats cut it out and plate it or get a new pannel,filling over will just lead to it coming back meaning you have wasted time and money so if your planning on keeping the car do it right mate,

philfingers

totally agree. Also check under the rear seats in the well, they rot there and the panel that is under the m/c. Brake fluid drips and gets under the underseal, then rots inside out. this is a engine out job to fix really.

Ajr

The car's got no interior and seems fine under rear seats and arches. I'm eventually going to work over the whole of the underside of the car and strip it down to paint and seal it!

I'll check under the MC and see if it's ok, hopefully it is! Can't see much behind the '6 engine!

Cheers for the advice everyone!

Edited by Ajr

Ajr

Is it still possible to get a repair panel for these areas? I've now decided after reading a few more threads that i'd rather just fit completely new panels if possible!

If so where can i get the panels from?

philfingers

I don't think so on the repair panel. I got a wing and headlamp panel for not too much, £33 quid. Have a look at mine, http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z143/oi...%20Rally%20Car/ you'll see the reapired bits and I've painted the underside too with underseal, using a Shultz type gun (£12 new) and a £50 (discounted) compressor from B&Q. It's come out ok,

Phil