• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt1900

Dropping The Front To Match The Rear

matt1900

Hi guys

I lowered the rear beam on my 205 the other day by using the "splines" method from the main site, so the back is pretty low now, there is only a very tiny gap between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch.

The front is still at standard height with a whopping 60mm + gap between the tyre and arch.

So it seems to me the front needs to come down by 50mm to bring in line with the rear.

I read a thread on here where somebody pointed out that standard shocks have a longer piston than shocks intended for lowering so they dont offer as much pre-load, and this pre-load affects the ride height.

So in which case if I put -50mm springs on to my standard dampers will I not actually attain the full 50mm drop? meaning i might need to fit -60mm springs in order to get a 50mm drop?

I realise this info must be on here already but I really couldn't find it with the search, so if anybody has any experience with this situation your input would be much appreciated

nice one

Matt

welshpug

the rear arches are lower than the front ones so will always seem closer to the tyre for a given drop.

IMO 25-30mm is the maximum you should go on standard dampers, and preferably no drop at all.

pug_ham

Its usually best to fit the front springs first & give them a week to settle before resetting the back to match the front & better still to disconnect teh torsion bars fully from the tube & radius arm so you an get an exact mm incremental ride height change for the back.

The back is supposed to be very slightly higher than the front iirc.

Graham.

Rom

Any drop on standard shocks isnt ideal. Although around 30mm is about as far as id go, if i had to.

After that the piston is just too long.

I run mine slightly higher at the back.

marksorrento205
The back is supposed to be very slightly higher than the front iirc.

Graham.

My back end has setled slightly lower than the front and the car drives crap. The front end is light and understeery. Gonna raise the back a little now

munster

Well my back end sits higher than the front, but she handles like poo above 60mph. Its as if i have to take the corner in lots of little chunks and corrections of the wheel. Im running a reconditioned beam and good GTI-6 shocks.

My front is lowered 40mm, so i plan to raise it up to about 20mm.

pug_ham
Well my back end sits higher than the front, but she handles like poo above 60mph.

How much higher? By slightly I'm talking 10mm absolute maximum but imo 5mm is more than enough.

Graham.

munster

Its about 10mm higher at the back.

When i get my new front springs i was planning on adjusting the rear to match (20mm all round)

Do you know if the 205 is the same height all round as standard?

dirtdog

From what i've seen the back end is slightly lower looking

macamizer

i dropped my front by 40mm and imo it was too low