• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
damo

Gear Linkage / Stick Position

damo

I've fitted some new gear linkage and I assume it needs tweaking. The gear stick is sweet but over to the drivers side a lot!!

In first it is where 3rd was and 5th puts the stick to basically under your leg.

To move the stick over to the passenger side a lot more whats the best procedure? take the linkage off, shorten it etc?

Damo.

other quick question off topic, the light on the dash above main lights in red (looks like a radiator?) when I accelerate hard is comes on? any ideas anyone?

swinney88

the light is the low coolant level. I had the same problem on mine it was being vibrated when under hard acceleration. its the sensor that plugs into the expansion tank. I gave mine a clean up and made sure it made a good contact when i put it back in and haven't had a problem since.

Rom

I cant remember which way the rods have to go, but mine were similar.

I got someone to sit in the car with gearstick roughly where neutral should be, and adjusted rods accordingly.

It still sits over though, i just assumed this was a side effect of the rods etc. All gears can be got easily though.

If its the coolant warning light, the sensor are tempremental. There just a big float system that gets clogged up. Remove the senor from the top of the header tank, and rinse it out, give it a good shake etc.

pugit666
I've fitted some new gear linkage and I assume it needs tweaking. The gear stick is sweet but over to the drivers side a lot!!

In first it is where 3rd was and 5th puts the stick to basically under your leg.

To move the stick over to the passenger side a lot more whats the best procedure? take the linkage off, shorten it etc?

Damo.

other quick question off topic, the light on the dash above main lights in red (looks like a radiator?) when I accelerate hard is comes on? any ideas anyone?

hi did you sort this out and how did you did it? i just put a different box in my car and have the same problem

thanks muchly

pugit666

is there any advice on adjusting gear linkages?

Goliath

You need to adjust your gear linkages, if your gear stick is too close to the driver then you need to lengthen your sideways rod that comes off the gearstick in the engine bay (not the one off the 'L' bracket). They are very simple to adjust, just pop them off and then unscrew/screw the ends as necessary. If you need a hand then im sure someone local will happily help.

pugit666

thanks for that i'll give it a go tomorrow

Sign in to follow this