• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dan Ingram

Gti6 Wont Start :(

Dan Ingram

I'm just trying to get my GTi6 conversion running for the first time. The fuel pump primes when I turn the ignition on and if I crank it over there is plenty if fuel coming through. There doesn't seem to be a spark though and I don't think the injectors are firing either. Anybody got any ideas? Wiring isn't my strong point really :)

Thanks

Dan

Fox

Do you have a crank sensor on the gearbox?

Dan Ingram

Yeah the crank sensor is on and connected up.

Fox

And you've got the ignition to pin 14 on the ecu plug?

And the earth?

Locked ECU?

Dan Ingram

I have 12v going to pin 14 on the relay when the ignition is on. There is an earth going from pin 36 on the ecu to the side of the head I've checked that for continuity and its fine. The ECU is unlocked as it worked fine in the previous owners conversion.

welshpug

got power at injectors/coilpacks/fuel pump?

got spark?

Dan Ingram

No spark. I've taken a coil off to check and I cant see one. There is power at the fuel pump because it primes and then pumps fuel when I turn it over. How do I check to see if there is power at the coils and injectors? Does it pulse or is there a constant feed to them?

welshpug

if you have the fuel pump priming you should have powe at the injectors too, pull a plug off the coilpack and probe the wires, one is to the ecu, the other is the 12v supply.

if you do have power there it sounds like a TDC sensor issue.

Dan Ingram

So I should have 12v at one of the pins on the coil when the ignition is on?

Dan Ingram

Where does the ECU get its power from? I've been thinking it seems like the ECU isn't getting any power. I know there is power to the twin relay but does that then send power to the ECU or is that getting its power from somewhere else?

Dan Ingram

So the ECU has a permanent live not a switched live?

Richie-Van-GTi

yes it has both, permanent through that ring and a switched through the relay based on the other thread. Checked autodata and it doesnt seemto show this though?

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

Richie-Van-GTi

according to autodata the following pins should be live :)

coded keypad pins 13,27,48 all 12v ignition on

12,13 data link 12v ignition on

24 evap 12v ignition on

3, 20 idle valve 12v ignition on

14 pas pressure switch 12v ignition on

13, 35 relay module 12v ignition on

these are on the ecu plug BTW.

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

Dan Ingram

Excellent thanks. I take it the keypad and pas pins wont need 12v as they arn't connected? And also whats the data link?

Richie-Van-GTi

data link is just the diagnostic connector.

Dan Ingram

Right then. I've just turned the ignition on and checked the feed to the coils and injectors and I don't seem to have 12v to either of them?

So where am I going wrong?

Dan Ingram

|I've now linked pin 13 and 35 on the ecu together and i'm getting 12v at the coils and injectors. Pin 13 was linked to pin 12 on the double relay, does anyone know what pin 12 on the double relay is for? I still can't get it to fire though. How do I know if the injectors are acutually firing and if the coils are doing what they are supposed to?

M@tt

how have you linked 13 & 35 together??i don't think you should do that

according to the wiring diagrams

ecu pin 52 will pull to ground when it detects the engine cranking therefore closing the 2nd relay and providing power to the injectors.

The coils should get 12v when you turn the igintion on along with the fuel pump.

Edited by M@tt

Dan Ingram

Where do pins 35 and 13 get their power from? And also do you now what pin 12 on the double relay does?

M@tt

my bad earler its ecu pin 52 not 35 that pulls to ground i've edited that now

ecu pin 52 is connected to pin 1 of the double relay. It doesn't really get power it's a switched earth if you like and pulls to ground completeing the circuit of one of the relays, closing the switch and allowing the permanent 12v waiting at pin 11 of dbl relay to flow out of pins 1 & 3 which go to the EVAP Canister Purge Valve & pin 35 of ECU.

ECU Pin 13 gets a switched live from pin 12 of the double relay and dbl relay pin 12 is joined to dbl realy pin 14 which gets the switched live from the 205 ignition barrel

Edited by M@tt

Dan Ingram

Thanks matt turns out non of that is relevant its my stupid fault. I've been trying to over complicate things. I've just checked the continuity on the CPS wires and one of them had broken down. I've wired up a new plug and it fired up first click. :blush:

So remember kids, check all the obvious stuff first :unsure:

M@tt

hurray :blush:

Sign in to follow this