• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
philfingers

Mi16 - Where To Mount The Ign Amp

philfingers

Where should I mount the ign amp on an Mi16 in a ph1 205? I can't think where it was mounted in the donor. Loom suggests somewhere close to the coil but can't figure out where. The battery is in the boot and there's a saxo PAS pump in it's place.

Where has everyone else put theirs?

Phil

hexhamstu

mounted next to the horn on a metal plate with some thermal paste to dissipate heat.

hexhamstu

just occured to me im not sure if the horn is supposed to be there or not, it was on mine? its below the coolant bottle to the right side of the engine bay.

philfingers

mmm, that's where it is on the 8v. bit tight now the PAS pump is there. will have to have a proper look tomorrow.

Also the upper heater matrix pipe goes to the coolant distribution block on the back of the block but the other hose that goes to the coolant block (with SAD and ECT sensor) on the 8v how did you connect that to the 16v thermostat block. I think I may have screwed up here. I removed the upper cam cover metal pipe, cut the long metal pipe off the thermostat block and welded it up. now there's one outlet, that points to the normal battery location,

any help appreciated. I did have a look at your pics Stu but it's difficult to see,

Phil

pee vee

i just put mine where the original 8v one was. under the header tank.. might need to take the metal plate off and drill another hole though.

hexhamstu

im not near the car to take any new pictures sorry.

Edited by hexhamstu

hexhamstu

from your explanation i think youve blanked the wrong one, can you take a photo of what you've done?

IMG_0011.jpg

in this photo you can just see there is a hose with a blank in the end on the thermostat block, is that the one you have left?

Edited by hexhamstu

Tom Fenton

On my 205 Mi16 the ignition amps are mounted on an alloy plate bolted to the top of the gearbox. I say amps on purpose as after a spate of trouble there is now a spare one bolted to the other side of the bracket, with a plug sealed up with silicone pushed on top to seal it. In case of any problem we can now unplug from one and swap straight to the other.

hexhamstu
On my 205 Mi16 the ignition amps are mounted on an alloy plate bolted to the top of the gearbox. I say amps on purpose as after a spate of trouble there is now a spare one bolted to the other side of the bracket, with a plug sealed up with silicone pushed on top to seal it. In case of any problem we can now unplug from one and swap straight to the other.

haha i like it!

philfingers

Stu- can get a photo tomorrow. The pipe I cut and blocked off runs underneath the PAS pulley on the end of the cam. I think I'll be re-welding it back on tomorrow and blocking the other one off! Did you use the std 8v hose for that do you know or another one? Nothing I have (and I have lots!) seems to fit right. All the other hoses are ok.

Tom- I was going to do the very same, mount two so I can swap them if need be, albeit on a vertical plate. Just not sure where to mount it. There maybe be room on the side of the now reduced and mondifed battery tray/box mount. This now holds the Saxo PAS pump, albeit vertically at the back of the battery tray. Battery in the boot.

GLPoomobile

On mine it was mounted in (one of) the stock locations, which was on the bracket that also holds the fuel filter. So it was basically in front of the filter, against the drivers side suspension turret.

I've now mounted it on the opposite side of the bay, against the other turret, between the battery and the headertank, which is also where the earth cables bolt on. Reason being that my loom now runs solely to that side of the car and didn;t want to split it off to the other side just for the amp, and I also had an H reg 1.6 that had the amp in that spot.

Rom

I never got round to get a coil holder when i did mine.

So ive got an alloy plate bolted to the back edge of the battery tray. That holds the coil and the amp.

It isnt that important where it goes really. As long as its mounted well.

Dave_McC

Phil

I was just plumbing up my Mi16 conversion this afternoon - on a 1990 1.6 Gti. I've kept the Mi oil cooler and have also cut off the rear pipe from the thermostat housing which runs behind the PAS pulley. What I did was run some 19mm hose from the side outlet on the t/stat housing round to the higher outlet on the oil cooler (I'm hoping this will seal ok as the spigot on the cooler is nearer 16mm - but it the pipe did seem to tighten up ok onto it - if it doesn't work I'll have to get a pipe reducer in there). I then ran the lower outlet from the cooler back round the n/s of the engine (using 16mm hose) and have cut the original Gti top heater to SAD hose down a bit - and will connect up these 2 pipes with a 16mm hose joiner. I still need to get a Gti coolant elbow for the front of the t/stat housing without the 2nd outlet on it - then I should be sorted.

This way, the coolant flow will help to heat up the oil quicker up to coolant temp, and will then act as an oil cooler - should be kinder to the engine for short runs.

Re the ignition amp, I'm planning on using the original amp in the original location - in front of coolant expansion bottle on n/s inner wing. I'm also running PAS, but using the Mi16 system. I've yet to work out where / how to mount the PAS reservoir, but other than that it's all fitted and plumbed.

Dave

philfingers

here's a few pics of mine now

IMG_9013-1.jpg

IMG_9012-1.jpg

IMG_9011-1.jpg

Was hoping to have mine running today but it seems like I may have slipped a disc in my back, took me a minute to pickup a screwdriver off the floor, so that put paid to that. And could do for the near future too!

Anyway I'll reinstate the steel pipe that runs under the PAS pulley and connect that up to the top heater hose. Then blank off the one on the side, leaves things a bit tidier. Will have to see how the space pans out. You can see the space the PAS pump takes up. The power (12v) distribution block will be bolted to the front of the remains of the battery tray, with a support bracket above for the AFM. The res for the PAS is tiny and should be easy to mount. Mine is a oil to air cooler, so I don't have any issues with plumbing that. I went a got a 106GTi fuel filter to use as they have 8mm tails but decided on using the std 8v one and a 6 to 8mm pipe joiner.

Rom

Not the best of pics but you can just about get the idea. You can just see the coil sitting next to battery.

The amp is on the same plate, the bulkhead side of the coil.

It does the trick, id always intended to get the proper coil mount. But ive done all my wiring etc, so no chance im moving it now for the sake of it.

post-7946-1231702044_thumb.jpg

Chris

Sign in to follow this