• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mr Anderson

Blue Smoke After Service?

Mr Anderson

Hi all....just got my 1985 1.6gti on the road,wasn't running to well as it had sat for a few months off the road....so....changed plugs,leads,dizzy cap, rotor arm etc,and also put a new exhaust on and a new battery......before i did this the car would miss fire mildly all the time right from start up hot or cold......

Now it miss fires like hell on start up for a couple of minutes with lots of vapour from the exhaust and blue smoke,but after that runs fine but does tick over too high(1500rpm-2000rpm),temperature guage says its not over heating or any thing.

But obviously the blue smoke is not good and i cant figure out why it would do it after i've put new parts on,basically i've messed something up along the line??????

Any ideas as to what would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Rom

Blue smoke is oil being burnt.

Probably from when you changed the plugs. Just a little bit will make it smoke.

Try removing the plugs, cleaning them, as they may be oily. And then try again.

If it wasnt smoking before hand, this is the most likely cause. There are other things that could make it smoke, but not that you would effect by servicing it.

Mr Anderson

gonna pull it all to bits again tomorrow,coolant mix was a bit iffy so gonna drain it and put a new thermostat in as i've got one laying about for some reason???

I gapped the plugs to 0.8mm??? think this was correct,the plugs i took out were more or less 0.8mm lol,one was 0.9mm though.

woodsy

Have u checked the headgasket isnt on its way out, thats why its misfiring and lots of vapour out of exhaust then clears after the water been burnt

of the plugs.Maybe worth checking mate.

Sign in to follow this