• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sparky

O/s Driveshaft Intermediate Bearing

sparky

Hello again folks.

So i've started the process of replacing the worn out parts on my car and the list is steadily growing but never mind.

The problem I have at the moment is removing the o/s driveshaft. Having searched the forum already Im at the stage where I have taken the nuts off the two bearing retaining bolts and clouted the shoulder of the shaft with the biggest hammer i've got and it is stuck solid. :rolleyes: So I saw someone mention removing the whole bearing block which seems logical so I've remove all the bolts and the engine mount.

Now Im stuck though because I can't get the bearing block off its locating dowels.

I assume I can't pry the block off the engine because the driveshaft is still in the diff. So my next thought is to loosen the bolts on the back of the diff housing. However seeing as I am very much a 205 nooby Im seeking clarification before I do this.

As I side note, seeing as im planning on taking on an entire car restoration I didn't know whether it was worth starting a thread in the works section. Any thoughts?

As always all help is appriciated

Regards

Chris

Kennyb

you did push the retaining bolts and turn them 90deg didn't you?

Kartman205
Hello again folks.

So i've started the process of replacing the worn out parts on my car and the list is steadily growing but never mind.

The problem I have at the moment is removing the o/s driveshaft. Having searched the forum already Im at the stage where I have taken the nuts off the two bearing retaining bolts and clouted the shoulder of the shaft with the biggest hammer i've got and it is stuck solid. :rolleyes: So I saw someone mention removing the whole bearing block which seems logical so I've remove all the bolts and the engine mount.

Now Im stuck though because I can't get the bearing block off its locating dowels.

I assume I can't pry the block off the engine because the driveshaft is still in the diff. So my next thought is to loosen the bolts on the back of the diff housing. However seeing as I am very much a 205 nooby Im seeking clarification before I do this.

As I side note, seeing as im planning on taking on an entire car restoration I didn't know whether it was worth starting a thread in the works section. Any thoughts?

As always all help is appriciated

Regards

Chris

I had the same problem recently and tried the same route as you did and had the same result.

Bolt it all back together again and apply a little gentle heat using a blow torch (not a welding torch) to the housing, it came out in 2 hits :P

Rom
you did push the retaining bolts and turn them 90deg didn't you?

This :P

Easy mistake to make.

If you did twist them...heat it up as suggested. Your replacing it anyway. So no need to worry about damaging it.

steve@cornwall
This :P

Easy mistake to make.

If you did twist them...heat it up as suggested. Your replacing it anyway. So no need to worry about damaging it.

You CAN prise the bearing off the dowels and remove the shaft this way - did one this morning :(

sparky
You CAN prise the bearing off the dowels and remove the shaft this way - did one this morning :(

Really?! How? I could only get it to move about 5mm! :P I used a largeish screwdriver, maybe im not trying hard enough?

The two bearing bolt thingys have been undone all the way and are nice and loose. Hitting the shaft with a hammer and drift is like hitting a solid piece of metal. No give whatsoever. I think giving it a bit of heat might be the next step.

Tom Fenton

Sometimes you really do have to give it a real good crack to get it moving. Otherwise try some heat round it as others suggest.

steve@cornwall
Really?! How? I could only get it to move about 5mm! :) I used a largeish screwdriver, maybe im not trying hard enough?

The two bearing bolt thingys have been undone all the way and are nice and loose. Hitting the shaft with a hammer and drift is like hitting a solid piece of metal. No give whatsoever. I think giving it a bit of heat might be the next step.

I used a pair of long nosed pliers with a cranked end to lever the front of the mount out, wedged the gap with the handle of a screwdriver and extracted the front dowel with the pliers. then used the jack handle to lever the mount enough to remove the rear dowel - still took some pursuading with a hammer to release the shaft from the 'box. Give it some welly!!!!!!!!

EDIT- just remembered I had the bottom engine mount undone which probably gave the engine a lot more more movement away from the bearing

Edited by steve@cornwall

dcc

the rear engine mount housing has either 1 or 2 locating dowels, cant remember, so themount wont just slide off easily.

I used some penetrating oil on the bearing to help it out, it was just dirty and didnt like to coem out easily.

sparky

Freed it at last!!!!

Used a much bigger hammer and some heat. It was still difficult though. The bearing came out ok but the shaft was tight fit in the diff too.

Anyway its out now and im happy :D

All ive got to worry about now is that there was barely half a litre of oil in the gearbox and it had the colour of well used engine oil. No wonder its crunching into gear.

Thank to everyone for the advice. It was a great help.

Chris.

Sign in to follow this