• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BERTMAN

Water In Boot

BERTMAN

hi. i have searched but that search engine is s***

my rear screen on both my cars gets condensation on it so bad i cant see through them, ive also noticed small amounts of water in the boot that seem to be coming from the drain holes in the bottom of the boot, and then leaking into the boot and i think this is causing the condensation on the screen, its getting so bad now that during this cold weather its spreading to all my other windows and freezing on the inside of the screen too!!... how should i go about stopping this happening? i doubt filling them up would be a good idea as the water would just collect inside the boot door itself?

Cheers

Liam

MerlinGTI

I had small amounts of water collecting on my boot floor after heavy rain. It was rear light seals full of crud. Take the rear lights completely out (silver bit too not just the len's) give the lights, seals, and rear panel a good clean.

If the seals are visibly knackered trip to the scrappy, as the seals are not avaible seprately from pug.

The drain hols in the boot drain to the outside of the boot seal when shut, so unless its happenning as you open the boot it isnt them.

CosKev

A smear of black silcone around the rear light seals is worth a try :)

What condition is the hatch seal in??????

brian j
The drain hols in the boot drain to the outside of the boot seal when shut, so unless its happenning as you open the boot it isnt them.

Merlin, that is certainly not true of all 205's. The square holes in the bottom corners of the tailgate frame are air vent holes, not drain holes and are INSIDE the tailgate seal on all 205's I've seen. (all 3 of mine have leaked into the boot too, so I've researched it well)

If water runs out of them it will form puddles on the boot sill and boot floor. Although others seem to have had leaks around the wiper shaft, washer jet or rear trim panel clips, I have always found that the rear screen seal has been leaking somewhere.

The OP might want to try looking there if they get no joy after sealing the light cluster seals up.

• Like 1

Merlin, that is certainly not true of all 205's. The square holes in the bottom corners of the tailgate frame are air vent holes, not drain holes and are INSIDE the tailgate seal on all 205's I've seen. (all 3 of mine have leaked into the boot too, so I've researched it well)

If water runs out of them it will form puddles on the boot sill and boot floor. Although others seem to have had leaks around the wiper shaft, washer jet or rear trim panel clips, I have always found that the rear screen seal has been leaking somewhere.

The OP might want to try looking there if they get no joy after sealing the light cluster seals up.

I too have this - it's definitely coming from these "vent holes" as you call them. Thought I had solved it be resealing the rear spoiler, but it has come back now. The only thing I haven't tried is re-sealing the rear screen , I've tried everything else you mention. Is this easy to do? Is it a case the the rubber is old and needs replacing?

brian j
I too have this - it's definitely coming from these "vent holes" as you call them. Thought I had solved it be resealing the rear spoiler, but it has come back now. The only thing I haven't tried is re-sealing the rear screen , I've tried everything else you mention. Is this easy to do? Is it a case the the rubber is old and needs replacing?

The rubber on the rear screen is only there for decoration. The actual screen is bonded in. On mine I removed spoiler and the rubber screen "seal", cleaned up and thoroughly dried the groove it sat in with a heat gun and filled it with black silicone. If you mask up the screen and tailgate well and work quickly, it is possible to get a very neat OEM look to the silicone.

Alternatively get a windscreen place to re-bond the screen for you.

MerlinGTI

Fair play Brian, when investigating my leak I remember looking at these and discounting them rather sharpish, but to be honest I couldnt say 100% where my vents/drains fall where the rubbers concerned.

Regardless it was my rear lights that was strangely letting in a table spoon worth of water each side when it rained. Worth checking :P

BERTMAN

the water is definently coming in through them 'air vents' as there are two treacles of water flowing from that area, ill try the lights on my other car though as that has had a phase2 conversion recently(ish)...

... where does the water actually get into the boot hatch itself then?

brian j
the water is definently coming in through them 'air vents' as there are two treacles of water flowing from that area, ill try the lights on my other car though as that has had a phase2 conversion recently(ish)...

... where does the water actually get into the boot hatch itself then?

Wasn't criticising Merlin, just didn't want Bertman discounting a possibility.

As stated Bertman, the normal culprits are the seal round the rear screen, the rear wiper spindle, the washer jet, the tailgate lock or the rear trim panel trim fixing holes. Oh and make sure that it is not just the rear washer jet feed pipe split or fallen off inside the tailgate.

Fixing the screen is described in my previous post, the others have been covered on here if you do a search.

All the best with fixing it. I hate having a leaking car (Just remind me why I like 205s again? :P )

2-Pugs

I had exactly this problem on a previous GTI and it turned out to be water getting in around the boot lock and washer nozzle and then finding its way to those aforementioned square holes on the inside of the boot. Try removing them (it's a bit of fiddly job) and then carefully sealing them with some silicone sealant when you refit them.

Worked ok for me :P

Rob

BERTMAN

thanks for the advice lads, ill get onto it!!!, maybe soon ill be able to see out of my back window :D lol

MerlinGTI

I checked today and brian is quite right, the vents do fall to the 'inside' of the rubber. Most odd but there you go :)

brian j
I checked today and brian is quite right, the vents do fall to the 'inside' of the rubber. Most odd but there you go B)

I do have to say that of all the design decisions in the 205, that is up there with the oddest! If they'd moved the holes 15mm or less, they'd have drained outside the rubber quite harmlessly!

Oh well!

GLPoomobile
I do have to say that of all the design decisions in the 205, that is up there with the oddest! If they'd moved the holes 15mm or less, they'd have drained outside the rubber quite harmlessly!

Oh well!

I agree, and was just thinking what an easy modification it would be. Block the original holes and drill some new holes in the base of the tailgate right near the lip where it meets the outer skin, and it should then drain outside the seal.

And they must be drain holes rather than vents, as I can't see why it would need venting, and the plastic cover isn't air tight anyway.