• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hexhamstu

What Causes The Brake Light To Come On?

hexhamstu

my girlfriends car the brake warning light is coming on, but it has plenty of fluid and brakes seem to work fine, what is the light actually attached to?

(if an admin could change it to "brake warning light" in the title that would be swell)

Edited by hexhamstu

GLPoomobile

The handbrake switch, and the low brake pad sensors are 2 things IIRC. Guess the low fluid sensor must be another.

hexhamstu

didnt realise they had a low brake pad sensor, i'll have to check them aswell then.

Anthony
The handbrake switch, and the low brake pad sensors are 2 things IIRC. Guess the low fluid sensor must be another.

Low brake pad sensor triggers a different warning light - it's an orange light with a circle surrounded by hashes (sort of thing).

The two things that bring on the brake warning light is the handbrake and low brake fluid. In my experience, the low fluid light is quite sensitive and will come on when the fluid level is still a fair way above minimum - top the level upto maximum and see if you still get the light coming on.

HERMAN

If you do top the level up then remember that you have done this the next time you fit a set of pads becasue when you push the brake piston back you could end up with brake fluid all down your bulk head.

I would check that your pads are not low before adding any fluid. The fluid only becomes low when the pads are worn out or there is a leak.

You could also conect the two wires together on the master cylinder to see if that puts the light out. That way you will know if it is the fluid level sensor giving you the light on.

Regards

Neil

Edited by HERMAN

Anthony
You could also conect the two wires together on the master cylinder to see if that puts the light out.

Joining the two wires together will cause the light to come on...

M@tt

on the brake reservoir cap remove the 2 wires from the cap and put a multimeter across the 2 spades on the cap with the multimeter set to resistance. if it goes to zero it means the cap is completeing the circuit and causing the light to come on

hexhamstu
on the brake reservoir cap remove the 2 wires from the cap and put a multimeter across the 2 spades on the cap with the multimeter set to resistance. if it goes to zero it means the cap is completeing the circuit and causing the light to come on

clever, but i dont have a multimeter down here in swansea, but i topped the fluid up, but i guess its the pads, im guessing i should scoop some fluid out before fitting new pads from what has been said? its filled to just slightly over max at the moment.

Cameron
Joining the two wires together will cause the light to come on...

Are you sure? My Ph1.5 had the filler, pad warning and handbrake on the same circuit.