• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hexhamstu

Bonnet Pins

hexhamstu

looks like im going to have to fit some, after butchering the slam panel its notreally holding the bonnet down that well and lifts up and one side, and i really dont want to have it open on me at 70 on the motorway.

SO

are the boyracer halfords ones anygood? i remember seeing some locking ones, anyone know where they where from? anygood? etc.

• Like 1

Daz_C

Aerocatch are the ones your thinking of, non locking or locking type, flush fit or top mounted. I put some on mine a while back due to loss of the slam panel and I prefered these to the old school type. Look pretty tidy when fitted too IMO.

I purchased mine from here > Race Parts Direct They came in at £39 delivered which if i recall was about the cheapest at the time and delivery was good.

You can see all the specs etc here > Aerocatch Web Site

hexhamstu
Aerocatch are the ones your thinking of, non locking or locking type, flush fit or top mounted. I put some on mine a while back due to loss of the slam panel and I prefered these to the old school type. Look pretty tidy when fitted too IMO.

I purchased mine from here > Race Parts Direct They came in at £39 delivered which if i recall was about the cheapest at the time and delivery was good.

You can see all the specs etc here > Aerocatch Web Site

you got a picture with them on the car?

hexhamstu

they do actually look quite good, think im going to buy some cheapy 5 pound ones now and aim to fit these in the long run, what did you use to cut the hole to shape? i was thinking cut a hole and then just grind it out to the right shape?

Daz_C

We used a jigsaw with a good blade init and just ran a small file round afterwards just to clean it up.

The catch comes with a template to cut the hole. It also comes with small nuts and bolts, but we found it easier/better to use stainless rivets. I wasn't to worried about cutting the holes as the bonnet will be going in the bin shortly and replaced with a standard bonnet. So it was really a test and it turned out not to be as hard as i thought it would be.

welshpug

I'd advise that you at least get the steel ones not alloy, or the stainless steel ones for a few pounds more if you don't want rusty ones in a few months.

Greyston engineering do them, most rally parts stockits supply them.

hexhamstu
I'd advise that you at least get the steel ones not alloy, or the stainless steel ones for a few pounds more if you don't want rusty ones in a few months.

ok fair point.

Cameron

Some more Aerocatch fitted pics for you.. Worth getting the flush mounted ones, they look a lot nicer. :blush:

IMG_0022.jpg

Uploaded-22Jul2008-2.jpg

Edited by Cameron

bensonmi

i bought stainless greyston ones the other day,only cost £7 so bargain! theres a fitting guide on the main web site,i havent fitted mine yet so cant really coment on them,but as long as they keep the bonnet from flying up you cant go wrong,especially at that price!

MerlinGTI

I prefer the old school ones on a 205, the aero catch ones although clearly a better pin are just to modern and jap suited imo.

Make sure you get stainless though, mine are going rusty :blush:

• Like 1

Bas
Some more Aerocatch fitted pics for you.. Worth getting the flush mounted ones, they look a lot nicer. :D

How did you attache does flush mounted ones to the bonnet?

(pic. from the inside?)

tom_m

another vote for aero catches here :)

Image_467.jpg

Cameron

I bonded them to the underside while I was making the bonnet so they're essentially part of it. :)

You could bond them to the underside of a GRP / carbon bonnet in the same way.

marksorrento205

I looked at some lockable areo catches on a 205 the other day. They are the dog nob and work well. Gonna get a set when I get an auto bonnet.

hexhamstu

bought some of the graystone ones with the aim to buy some aero catches in the long run.

Cameron

Why not just go for Aerocatches now? They don't cost that much. :)

welshpug

4 times the price is quite a bit!!

EdCherry

Ok im still havn't found a bonnet pin I actually like.

I like pip pins but not sure they are good enough for the task.

I dont like the stupid ones that slide down into the pin, for my liking the pin doesn't fit well enough in the slider bit.

Will pip pins do the job?

hexhamstu
Why not just go for Aerocatches now? They don't cost that much. :)

i knew someone would say that, £32 extra isnt that much untill you dont have £32, i wouldnt even consider spending the 7 quid i just spent on these stainless ones but i dont like the idea of driving 400 miles with the bonnet the way it is, the car has drained all the money i had and at the moment i am a student and have no job so i am now seeking part time employment to run the car, if anyone knows of anything give me a nod!

Cameron

Fair enough, it just seemed like false economy to buy a cheap set with the intention of buying a more expensive set later.