• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205Rallee

Bilstein Long Top Spindle Inserts/compbrake T/mounts

205Rallee

Well I've sent my PTS Bilstein long top spindle inserts off to Krupp Bilstein for a rebuild. Thanks for the details guys.

I've test fitted a set of Compbrake eccentric top mounts to some spare inserts I have, with the original PTS top spring pans (2.25" springs) and as suspected there isn't a great deal of thread coming through the spherical bearing, so may have to turn down the sleeve nut that Compbrake supply. Got to be honest it doesn't look anything like as sturdy as the non adjustable PTS top mount where the top of the top spring pan actually sits inside the much bigger and better quality SKF bearing. Will probably end up ditching the Compbrake one and going back to the fixed PTS one with no negative camber. :lol:

However, when I took the strut off the car I noticed that the 9" Skip Brown dual rate spring becomes very loose. Can you get a longer spring or should I get helper/tender springs with an adaptor to join the two springs together or should I just not worry about it? I use 13" wheels and don't run it very low. The car is only used for hillclimb/sprints so the front wheels don't spend much time in the air!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Spiky

i run the combrake top mounts, and they are fine as far as the thread is, here they are

DSC05203.jpg

DSC05204.jpg

when you say loose, is tha when you jack it up? thats fine, just put some helper brings on if your worried :blush:

i'm using 8" springs

DSC05680.jpg

Edited by Spiky

205Rallee

Hi Spiky,

That was really useful. Where did you get the helper springs from? Do you need an adaptor to join them to the main spring ?

The PTS top spring mounts have about a 1 inch vertical sort of spacer bit that sits inside the bearing on the PTS mount which may be the problem.

Spiky

you can get adapters, but you dont need them unless you will be coming off the road much, and as mine is track use i didn't bother.

i got mine from merlin motorsport

you got a picture of yours fitted like mine?

SPGTi

205Rallee,

Baker Bushes and mounts (Stew205) on here will be seling some very nice top mounts that are independently adjustable for both camber and castor, they also use the same large high quality bearing as the PTS items (I am glad you mentioned this as rs tone on here (works for Compbrake ???) was adamant that the Compbrake bearings were the same size as the PTS ones). I have seen a prototype one designed specifically for the Blistein inserts and they would easily be my choice.

cheers

Steve

205Rallee
205Rallee,

Baker Bushes and mounts (Stew205) on here will be seling some very nice top mounts that are independently adjustable for both camber and castor, they also use the same large high quality bearing as the PTS items (I am glad you mentioned this as rs tone on here (works for Compbrake ???) was adamant that the Compbrake bearings were the same size as the PTS ones). I have seen a prototype one designed specifically for the Blistein inserts and they would easily be my choice.

cheers

Steve

We need some more details!

I've learnt another lesson, only buy stuff you know works it's worth paying the difference to avoid all the grief. The PTS mount looks infinitely stronger and I've done many rallies in a 205 with the PTS mounts with no problems.

Spiky I'll try and post some pictures.

SPGTi
We need some more details!

pm Stew205, I am sure he will give you all the details.

steve

205Rallee
pm Stew205, I am sure he will give you all the details.

steve

Just pm'd him thanks!

Spiky

can you let me know the details too :)

205Rallee
can you let me know the details too :)

Will do.

PS My top spring pans are identical to the ones for sale on ebay ABP motorsport? for circa £78 they are replica PTS ones with a sort of inch high collar.