• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tonycj

Whys My Drivers Window Keep Sliding Forward

tonycj

5-Door D-Turbo.

Whenever i wind my drivers window up it seems to slide forward slightly, so that it leaves a small gap at the rear of the window, and i get cold or wet! (weather dependant)

So when i wind the window up i have to push the glass rearwards with one hand whilst winding with the other.

i have changed the winding assy thinking that could be worn but i still have the problem?

When investigating (with the window half down), if i hold the glass and move it up and down the rollers seem a good fit in their channels although i can move the glass forward and rear?

I havent got a clue whats broken/missing/worn? even through comparing to the passenger side!

HELP!!!!!!

Look forward to your replies.

Tony.

Cameron

Could be the front vertical runner, there's a torx bolt at the bottom fromt corner of the door iirc, and another one tucked away in the front. Check that they are done up / there at all.

tonycj

Sorry forgot to mention all bolts and screws are tight.

Tony.

dirtdog

I think there is a plastic clip that holds the rearward end of the glass into the door. I haven't looked at a 205 one but this is how they are one a lot of other cars I have seen.

It acts like vertical slider just to keep the window straight on the way up and down, and not doing whats happening with you.

Hope this helps

tonycj

i did think about a clip or bracket which may be fixed to the rear of the window?

does anyone have the parts catalogue to look at the breakdown of the window?

Many thanks,

Tony.

jimistdt

Send a PM to steve@cornwall he is good at this sort of stuff, I did manage to find an old thread of his about this, but it was for the leccy windows.

That.....there...^^^, looks like a link but it isn't, I dont know why it did that. :blush:

Edited by jimistdt

steve@cornwall
Send a PM to steve@cornwall he is good at this sort of stuff, I did manage to find an old thread of his about this, but it was for the leccy windows.

That.....there...^^^, looks like a link but it isn't, I dont know why it did that. :blush:

I'm not too sure on the 5 door, but have recently removed a winder meck from one and would assume that either the guide channel that is horizontally mounted roughly at the centre of the door has rusted at one end (had this once on a 3 door) or the plastic guide wheel from the mechanism that runs in this has worn , which would require a replacement mechanism. Hope this is of some help

tonycj

Replaced the winder assy once already, and i tried the assy before i removed it and it worked great!

i have checked the channels that the window runs in and they are in excellent condition, no corrosion or distortion at all.

Tony.

toddydal

the channel were the speaker is, loosen the torx screw and move it across to the window as far is it will go then tighten the srew.there is slight movement on that 1 left or right but you want it so the window is tighter between the 2 channels,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sorry ive just relised its a 4 door one and not sure if this method works but that what you used to do with the 2 door

Edited by toddydal

tonycj

Hi, tried moving the channel, but no adjustment on it.

Come on guys solve it for me!!!

Tony.

toddydal

there should be a little bit of adjustment on the speaker side 1,if not drill the hole bigger on the door so you have,are both channels in at the top they sort of lock in at the top and screw at the bottom

Edited by toddydal

Ren

There is no clip on the top side of the window, that's on newer pugs, i.e 106 and 306 etc. As mentioned there is a bar at the hinge end of the door that the glass runs up and down in and this is adjustable. If it isn't that then either the glue holding the metal channel to the bottom of the glass has disintegrated allowing it to move around or your mech is fitted loose somehow.

Ren

weejimmy

there is not adjustment nor ment to be,

try the runner at the botom of the glass, attached to the glass.

on my gf's car it had rusted away so there was nowhere for the front guide to sit.

i put a 3dr one on it, works fine, just have to make sure its in the same position as old one.

i had to hammer them off on, but be carfull obviously.

basicly take your door trim off and have a look youll see what it is.

toddydal

there is slight adjusment on the hinge side 1,if its not slid tight towards the glass the glass will move on the way up and tilt,i do also agree with the runner attached to the glass as well,best thing to do is take door trim off and have a look

tonycj

Hi Guys,

The trim is off the door, all bolts and fasteners are secure, the front vertical channel is pushed to the rear and secure, the rollers in the channel are tight and the channel on the bottom of the window is tight on the window and has no corrosion on it.

I am truely stumped at what the problem is!!!!

I have looked and looked at the two of my doors comparing and comparing again, and still i cant find a difference.

The reason i want to get it sorted is i have electric window assys to fit, but want to sort the moving window first.

HELP.

Tony.

toddydal

if it was me i would strip the glass out window mech and all the runners and have a good look to see whats up,or you could go to your local bodyshop and let them have a look

tonycj

Bollocks to a bodyshop i'll do it myself!

Only question i have is, can i get my window out from the door without removing the seal which runs along the bottom of the glass when the window is up (if you know what i mean)!?

Tony.

weejimmy

is it stiff to wind up or very easy?

there is only 4 things that hold glass in place.

the vertical runners either side and the 2 rollers in the 2 chanels.

take glass out the rollers and put it in the sliders.

push it up by hand suporting either side.

if it stays in its the 2 rollers thats pete tong. if not the slider may be bent etc.

i had this problem today,

5dr car. o/s/f window was like this, (corroded runner)

o/s/r door when you shut it it the handle jamed open and didnt catch

n/s/f door wouldent open at all. (that was fun)

striped them all down greased them up and that was all that was wrong. woo hoo.

weejimmy

no you need to take both scraper mouldings out.

dont pull them up like you would think you do, pull them horisontaly at as small a angle as you can to stop them bending

tonycj
no you need to take both scraper mouldings out.

dont pull them up like you would think you do, pull them horisontaly at as small a angle as you can to stop them bending

Weejimmy, could you tell me with a bit more detail, as i dont quite follow what you are doing?

I dont want to sound thick!!!

i cant work out what you are pulling at, and what are the scrapper mouldings?

Sorry for the questions!

Tony.

weejimmy

erm

if you wind the window up.

there are two seals, one eiter side of the botom of the window, if you wind the window down they "scrape" the water off (well they are suposed to but thats where they get there name)

understand?

well if you just pull them up they banana or worse still fold over.

so stand at the handle end of the door, pull them up about 1" then pull towards your waist. so they slide along and up at the same time. stops them buggering up.

then can get the window out.

tonycj

Sweet now i understand!!!!!!

Cheers for the info, i think a strip of the door is in order.

I'll let you all know how it goes!

Thanks for the info guys,

Many Thanks,

Tony.

tonycj

Can anyone just confirm for me that the front channel that the window runs in is fixed in with only one bolt, at the lower half of the window.

Many Thanks,

Tony.

weejimmy

is there not a bolt behind the mirror cover bit. in the inside of the car i mean. im not sure as i only undid the botom one

how did you get on?

tonycj

I'll be on it tomorrow (in works time)!